2

Reid swooped in from behind, so Cara didn't get a chance to steel herself. She had her headphones on, focused on her screen and ending the customer chat session in progress. By the time she realized Reid, company founder, onetime infamous CEO and current head of innovation didn't come alone, the eyes of her team were beady beckons of what's up with this.

"Owen, this is Cara."

She winced at the sound of Reid's voice, pressed down on her desk and stood to face him.

"You probably don't remember her from the hospital. She's worked here since, I don't know, how long have you worked here, Cara? Anyway, we lived together."

Prairie dogging went professional with Reid's stunning admission.

"She's the one with," Reid tapped his own butt, oblivious to the stir he'd caused, "came to the hospital to tell you about it." He grinned, the change of expression transforming him from mad scientist to her best girl, Zarley's insanely hot, often ridiculous boyfriend, and Cara's onetime, out of necessity, roommate.

"We didn't live together as in live together." She glared at Reid. Did her team mates see that butt tap? Holy corset strings. And this was Owen. Owen who started Plus with Reid, who'd had to sack Reid for being a dick to work with, then recall him when a head-on collision with a truck almost killed Owen.

She snuck a look at Owen. It blocked out the bug-eyes of her team, but their ears were still on stalks, tuned to office scandal. It was good to see him on his feet. Last time she'd seen him he'd been immobilized, in spinal shock and it was unclear if he'd walk again. There'd been lots of company updates on his progress since then, but spinal injuries could be so unpredictable.

She looked over the top of her pc screen at her work team. "My apartment burned down," she flung a hand out towards Reid. "He was in Paris and he has a girlfriend."

Reid's laughter was loudest. "Seem to remember you're grumpy in the morning before coffee."

Damn him, he was uncomfortably inappropriate as usual. The portion of the company that wasn't secretly terrified of Reid, was irritated by him, the rest would've licked the ground he walked on. Cara had been in all three camps about the man, swapping to grudgingly worshipful when he'd shown himself as such a good guy for Zarley.

There was a chorus of greetings for Owen, and he responded, thanking people for their concern and well wishes, but Cara still heard a, "Whoa, Cara," and then Enzo's, "Lived together, huh." She'd have some explaining to do.

There was also a, "Reid, have you got a minute. Can I show you what I did with this customer complaint?" It came from some suck-up four workstation blocks over who everyone, including Reid, ignored.

Owen held his hand out and Cara took it. "Hi. I'm sorry we didn't meet before the accident, and I'm sorry I don't remember much about what happened right after it."

She shook Owen's hand, aware that work had come to a complete stop and everyone was staring at them. "Is Reid sacked again?"

Chorus of gasps, groans and nervous laughter. Reid's again the loudest.

"Too soon?" she said. Because she could be inappropriate too and Reid being fired then gate-crashing a company anniversary function only to have to apologize publically before being re-instated when Owen was sidelined, was the stuff of company legend.

Owen smiled, but it never reached his eyes. He stood stiffly like he had a broom handle taped to his spine. In one of the conference rooms there were blown up prints of pictures Owen had taken while skydiving. He no longer looked like a man who'd enjoy doing that.