Chapter One

It was silent.

Was this what death felt like?

Am I even dead?

Thoughts flew around in Hudson's mind. She stayed laying on the white tiled floor.

She opened her eyes.

Is anyone here?

She got up and looked around. The whole entire room was white. She then found a wall that was a huge mirror.
She still looked the same: Brown hair, hazel eyes, light skin, and freckles. There was only a few differences in her clothing. Her clothes had changed from a ripped blue hoodie with bloody and scratched jeans and messed up  Converses to a white jacket with clean jeans and Uggs.

"Welcome Hudson Morgan.", said a female voice.

What? Who said that?

There was a silence.

Hudson didn't know what to do. Was she being held captive after what happened?

And whatever did happen, too.

Her thoughts were interrupted.

"Welcome Hudson Morgan. You are in the Province of Emra, a society structured for people to have a second life when they pass.", said a male voice.

Hudson walked around the room.

"So, am I dead?"

Her voice echoed around the room.
One of the walls transformed into two doors which revealed a young men and a young woman both in white. They looked like they were in their middle-twenties.

They walked towards Hudson.
"Hello Hudson. My name is Caitlyn and this is Eddie."
Caitlyn had light brown hair with a few amber streaks in a short bob with green eyes. Eddie had dark brown hair with blue eyes.

"Nice to meet you. You already know my name, apparently."

"We know everything about you.", the female, Caitlyn, said.

Realizing that sounded creepy, she added, "I'm sorry. That sounded weird." She chuckled embarrassingly.  

"What she meant is that when everyone passes away, we get a card with the information about the person.", the male, Eddie, stated.

"For example, favorite bands: Panic! At The Disco and Twenty One Pilots."

"Favorite games: Undertale and The Last of Us."

"Favorite Youtubers: D-"

"I get it!", Hudson said with a chuckle.

"But before you start with the questions, we need to ask you a few.", Eddie said.

"Go ahead."

"Well to start off, do you have any memory of what happened before you woke up here?", Caitlyn asked.

Hudson did not remember clearly. All she knew was that she was on her way to someplace. Nothing else came to mind.

"I was on my way to somewhere with a group of people. Then, there was a blur. Later, a crowd of people surrounded me. Then, it turned black.", she responded.
"Oh and also my clothes changed too.", she added.

Eddie and Caitlyn exchanged looks. "At least you remember something. Mostly, when people arrive here, they have little to no memory of what happened to them.", Eddie explained.

Did anything else happen that I should be aware of?

The thoughts came back to Hudson, but not for long.
Caitlyn looked over her shoulder and then said, "You should follow us." They all walked inside the door from before which turned out to be an elevator.

----------------------------------------------

Hudson acted like a little kid who was going to ride their first rollercoaster: Nervous, but excited. She looked out the glass window and saw outside. There where tall buildings and parks. This entire place looked like an extremely-healthy modern Earth.

I should feel safe. These two very nice people are helping me, right?

But then she thought, "Why am I am following these two strangers. Who knows what they are up to."

Everything looked so clear and neat. "Where am I again?, she questioned, without taking her eyes away from the window.

"You are in the Province of Emra. It is named after a mystical goddess called, well you guessed it, Emra.", Eddie explained.

"Emra, or her full name, Emrasoldia, was a nature goddess. She truly cared about living beings and plants. Everything she did was for the Earth. Then one day, the rival god, Zydeco, came to her palace and was furious. He thought that there shouldn't have been a female as ruler. He attempted many times to kill her, but always failed. But that would not stop him. Emra was tired of all of this, so she challenged him. Zydeco gladly accepted, assuming he was going to win. Emra won and destroyed Zydeco once and for all.", Caitlyn explained.

There was an awkward silence.

"Yay, girl power!", Hudson cheered, trying to fix the silence.
They all laughed.

----------------------------------------------

After they had reached their destination, the two doors opened and a breeze came out.

Hudson felt the breeze pass her face.
She reached behind her back pocket expecting to pull our her cellphone. But instead, it was a metalish glass object.

"Where is my phone?", Hudson asked.

"Oh I forgot! When you die, all your items carried on you 'upgrade'.", Eddie used finger signs around the word upgrade.

"Upgrade ?", Hudson mocked him.

He sighed and then laughed. Then came the explanation.

"Well, they basically change with you. Like how your clothes changed, for example. Now that is not a phone, it's more like a device to track your personal needs and to communicate."

"So it's a phone.", Hudson responded.

Eddie rolled his eyes jokingly.

"I guess you can call it a phone. It is very similar.", Caitlyn told her.

Hudson looked around again. In her hometown, nature was rarely seen. All the plants has been poorly taken care of. The mayor wanted to close all parks for parking lots. Luckily, there was still one park open. It was Hudson's favorite spot. She got her best ideas there.

"So what do you guys do?", Hudson asked them.

"We are Officials. Every society has different types of Officials.", they responded.

"Enough with the chit chat. Come on, our leader is waiting."