Chapter 2

"Why can't we go back?"

The room, which a second ago had been doing a good impression of an aviary goes deadly silent at this question. The question comes from a short man with bristly eyebrows too large for his forehead. His light green uniform holds the insignia of the wellness division. It's a lie that there are no stupid questions. And judging by the reaction of Captain Harrios sitting next to him, he agrees.

Two days have passed and we still have no better understanding about what's happened. Somehow we've travelled to another galaxy. We have no idea how, or even the distance from our own. It's like some giant hand has lifted us from one pond and plopped us down in another.

I'm not a religious person. I've never believed in a higher power. Yet, I'm always intrigued by the theories we are either dust in the grooves of someone's floor or a simulation. These theories explain when science can't. They're like the Gods of our past. There's always a scientific answer and I know there must be for what's happened to us. We have to be patient.

"Go back?" Amit, the Posterus' head of engineering stands, an incredulous look on his face. "How? We don't even know where we are. It would be like blindfolding you in a maze, leading you to the middle, and asking you to make your way out the way you came." The giant man spits as he talks. He peers around the table, silently asking for confirmation that this man is stupid and should leave.

The room stays silent. A few of the members, bored already, gaze out the window onto the enormous concourse of the Posterus. Everything is shiny and new. Compared to the Persephone, which has years of smells, the Posterus is sterile. Every dent, scorch mark, burn and stain on my ship comes with a story. This place feels like the packaging hasn't even come off yet.

Captain Harrios—our representative for Union fleet—clears his throat. While I agree finding a way to get back is the wrong focus for this meeting and our immediate goals, I keep quiet. As Captain Harrios reminded me before the meeting, I'm a side note. I'm only here to give a brief on the events that occurred with Davis Sarka.

Having to explain how the leader of the Burrs hijacked my ship was not how I wanted to spend my morning. Never mind trying to explain the logistics of turning a human being into a bomb.

Call him what you want, a terrorist, space pirate, pain in the ass. His involvement is the reason we're here, stuck in this unknown system. We're in this mess because of his ideals about humans and interstellar space travel.

Harrios opens his mouth to speak but Amit interrupts him. "We aren't going anywhere, not until we repair the engine. And that's going to take months." Amit flops back in his seat. It groans from the weight. "Months!" He throws his hands in the air to emphasize his statement in case anyone thinks he's exaggerating.

The room explodes again. Politicians, engineers, doctors, even the chef and botanist have opinions. I lean back and observe as each screams louder. Each hoping their voice will be the one to rise above the din, even though, they themselves refuse to listen. I watch as Ash's great hope disintegrates into ego and rhetoric. Our first chance to prove we can govern better than the Commons and here we are, no better. Each section thinks they know best. Each representative bullies for their opinion to matter. It makes me sick to think how right Vasa is.

When we began the planning stages of this journey, we also created a new way to govern. We formed committees with one representative from each of the sixteen departments. No one is in charge, everyone has equal say. Each section votes on their representative.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of this whole mission to find a suitable planet to colonize? So what if our starting position has changed, why does the mission? Why can't we continue from here?" It isn't very loud. I say it more to myself than anyone else, perhaps that's why it gets noticed. Everyone stops and turns to me. Captain Harrios' nostrils flare as he shoots me a venomous look. A clear warning in his eyes: keep quiet.