Climb

Leaving Ickwall had been no easy feat. The tunnels Zia took to reach the surface were dark and hot, steamy almost. When she stepped out of the gloom and into Genesis she lost her breath for a moment.

Vehicles sped through the air and across streets, movement never ceased. Buildings boasting hundreds of stories threatened to pierce the dome above the colony. Neon lights flashed and bled into the atmosphere, causing the night to glow in bizarre colors.

Zia strained her eyes, searching the skies for a place far away. Haze disfigured the planet in the distance, its crisp lines fogged by the filth coating the dome. Earth, or Old Earth as some people called it, was conversely fresh and beautiful.

Maybe Earth is better off without us humans.

An artificial breeze swept over perfectly manicured lawns as she walked past mansions that pressed against each other.

She found Lucille's home as instructed by Roman and Kora. The thought of what faced her next sent a chill across her back. The plan was simple, find Frida and take her home.

When she saw the house, she knew it must be Lucille's. Black, gray and pearl ruled its color scheme. The image of a castle popped into mind as she stood staring at the estate. Sleek lines and rounded walls, balconies and towers, pillars and immense windows caused the building look like a piece of art. The palatial property was the material of dreams.

Lucille had a loving home and an education, friends and an admirable career. What went wrong? How did she turn into the person she is now? 

Her throat tightened with anxiety and excitement. She hesitated at the gate, wondering what to do next. Then, someone grabbed her coat and pulled her backwards into bushes.

"Hey! What-" a hand clamped over her mouth.

A gruff male voice whispered near her ear,"Do ya wanna get us noticed?"

She ignored the slight pain coming from her back and faced her captors. The disgruntled faces of Roman and Kora stared back.

"Sorry, you just startled me. I thought we were meeting closer to the house." She shook her dark hair out of her face.

Kora narrowed her eyes at Zia, "That's exactly how to get noticed." Something about her tone was making Zia uneasy.

"Come on, we're goin' through tha back." Roman crouched and moved towards the end of the wrought-iron fence, across the lush grass, coming close to the left side of the house.

Kora snaked her way past Roman and perched beside the gate, typing a sequence of symbols into the keypad.

"Psh, tha security on these old gates is ridiculous. Yew'd think with a job like hers, she could afford better...," the gate popped open and Kora smirked at Roman, "security..."

Roman asked Zia, "Do ya remember what to do?"

Zia nodded and told him, "I think so. I climb up to Frida and get her out. Then go to the hangar you told me about and board the ship..."

Kora asked, "Which ship?"

"The one in the worst shape," Zia smiled, "then wait for further instruction."

Roman chuckled, "That's her. Oh, and if we aren't there by morning go without us. We've left flight plans."

She nodded and tried to picture herself driving a ship. Alone.

Well, it shouldn't be too hard, if Archie can do it...

Zia's hands shook as they reached the window that spanned four stories in a solid block. She would climb beside it until she reached the round window at the top.