Pigtails and a Baseball Cap

The Autumn leaves are falling again. Do you remember the way we use to lay under the blue while the colors of orange, yellow and red fell lightly on us, making us giggle? Oh how happy those days were. We became small children again when the winds changed.

We met on an Autumn's day, so many years ago, back when we were only the careless age of seven. You wore your baseball cap and glove, playing in the front yard with your new dad. I rode by on my pink, Barbie bike, pigtails poking out under my helmet. You tried to throw the ball to him but hit me instead, causing me fall to the ground with a scowl, only for you. Rushing over, you chanted “I'm sorry.” I looked up to you with teary green eyes. Mom had told me I wasn't allowed to start fights anymore, which was very difficult to follow as you helped me up from the ground. I picked up my bike and rode away. I wanted to punch you but I didn't. I should of though.

At school we met again, baseball cap and pigtails. I refused to say a single word to you, still not forgiving you for hitting me. For years I ignored you whenever I could. I never admitted it to anyone, but I had a small crush on you. Thankfully, you didn't give up. Six years later, when we were the very mature age of fourteen, Mother came smiling into my room, stating that there was a surprise waiting outside. With wonder, I let my feet glide me across the floor and to the window. A smile creeped onto my face when I looked outside to see a cute little boy with that same baseball cap. I had let the pigtails go long ago but that ratted hat sat proudly on your head. You held up a sign, homemade with silver glitter that read “Dance?” Nerves clouded your eyes as I walked out the door, the sign beginning to shake. I hid my smile away which terrified you. To me, it was a fun game. I stood before you, letting the silence take over. “Pick me up at six.” A small smile escaped from me, and you let out a sigh.

Mom took me out shopping, despite my argument of not wanting to go. For a tomboy like me, getting all dolled up was a nightmare, but then I remembered that I would be spending the dance with you. After two hours, and trying on nearly fifty dresses, I found the perfect one. A knee length, purple dress with a sweetheart neckline; strapless, sequined and a ribbon tying at the waist. Everything I had always hated wrapped up into one dress that made the girly girl in me appear. We bought a matching pair of silver heels and a silver necklace. Mom curled my hair and pinned it up out of my face.

At six o'clock, the door bell rang. I hid my excitement as Mom answered it. “Hello Andy. You look very handsome.” I could tell by her voice that she wore a smile. You muttered thanks then she called to me. “Charlie!” I stood at the top of the stairs, praying that I wouldn't fall. I stopped half way down when our eyes met. Your's widened and I let out a nervous laugh. We met at the end of the stairs. “Hi.” I breathed, a smile never leaving. Looking me up and down, you muttered, “You look.... beautiful,” letting out the last word with a breathless grin. “Not bad yourself Streaks.”

Mom forced us to take pictures, insisting that we would want to remember this night for years to come. Your mom was busy with work and your step-dad didn't want to miss the big game, so your brother, Matt, was there to represent your family. He was seventeen and leaned against the peach walls, waiting for us. “Mom, we're going to be late.” I groaned after the millionth picture. “One more!” She cheered. We smiled as the flash went off. “Have fun!” She shouted after us as we climbed into Matt's jeep.

The drive was awkwardly, silent. We sat with as much space as the backseat would allow between us. Matt was on the phone with some girl saying he'd be over once he dropped off “the brats”. Nervous energy twirled around us. What was only a ten minute drive seemed to take two hours. My heart was racing, sweat threatened to take away what little makeup I had on. You and I nearly jumped out of the jeep when we pulled up to the school. Matt shouted out that he would pick us up at ten when the dance ended then sped away.

I felt your eyes glance over to me. Without a second though, I took your hand and we walked inside. We found my friends and some of your's, and danced with all of them for awhile. When a slow song came on, you led me to the center of the dance floor, their judging eyes focused on us. I could tell you were more focused on them so I draped my arms around your neck. “Just ignore them, okay?” You gave me a half smile then rested your hands on my waist. At the chorus, I pulled myself closer to you so that my head rested on your chest, combining your heart beat with the music around us. Softly you sang to me, slightly off tone; not that I cared. I had to keep myself from smiling like a full for the rest of the night.

By the end of the dance, I had abandoned my heels and you your jacket, which you shyly wrapped around my shoulders when Matt pulled up to pick us up. Our hands stayed intertwined the entire ride. We sat side by side, our legs pressed together, my head resting on your shoulder. Nothing had ever felt so right. We pulled up to the drive and you walked me to the door. Together we stood under the stars, nervousness flying between us. You looked at me and I looked at you. You let out a sigh then placed a small kiss on my cheek, and walked away. I stood there for a minute, wondering why I never saw that the guy I liked lived right down the street.