4

In March of that year, you called me one night, telling me to meet you at the field down the road from the middle school. I didn't really question it, knowing that you probably just needed a break from your family since Matt had moved to New York. I got in my red jeep and drove to where you were. Your truck sat there, blankets and pillows filling the back. You stood before it with a blank sign. I got out of the car and walked towards you, giving you a questioning look. To answer, you dropped the first sign. "Four years ago, I asked you to the 8th grade dance." Next sign, "Then I asked you to be my girlfriend." Next sign, "Today I have to ask you something else." Next sign, "I hear there's this big dance coming up." Next sign, "And I was wondering if you wanted to go with me." Last sign, "Would you go to our prom with me?" I ran into your arms and you spun me around, while I muttered in your ear yes. That night we stayed in the back of your truck under the stars, an entanglement of limbs and blankets.

We started college and of course went to the same one, living off crappy cafeteria food and crackers. We had a few classes together and people couldn't believe we had been together all through high school. During our sophomore year of college, you gave me a promise ring. We moved in together junior year, although your parents weren't too happy about it. After graduation, you asked me to officially marry you. We were on the beach, on vacation with your family.

It was sunset and we were walking through the sand, hand in hand. You stopped us before we reached everyone again. Before I could question you, you got down on one knee. My hand flew up to my mouth. "Charlie, I love you. I've loved you since the day I hit you with that ball when we were kids. We've been together so long and honestly I don't know how I would ever live without you. I hope I never have to. We used to talk about getting married one day and starting a family. Well I'm ready to have that life with you. I'm ready to call you mine forever. Charlotte Marie, will you marry me?" You pulled out a ring. I nodded yes, words taken from me. You slid the ring on my finger then kissed me. Our family and friends surrounded us, having been hiding to watch and video tape.

A year later, we said I do. It wasn't some big, love fest; just us, family, and a few friends in the town's oldest church on a Saturday afternoon. You wore a grey suite with Matt by your side as your best man. I wore a short white dress and carried red roses. You surprised me with a trip to London for our honeymoon, saying you'd been saying up for it since we moved in together. We spent a beautiful week there, seeing everything there was to see.

Soon after we returned, you told me the news. You explained how you had been thinking about joining the Army for awhile now, since your dad had been in the Army. At first, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We fought about it but in the end, I agreed to support you no matter what you chose. That year you signed up. I put on a brave face for you.

We were sitting back watching TV in our new house a couple years later; your arm draped around my shoulder and my head on your chest. "Babe?" I said in a small voice, unsure on how to tell you. You gave an acknowledging sound. "What do you think about if we added someone to our little family?" I held my breath as you tried to understand my words.

"Charlie you're not..." You trailed off. I sat up and looked at you with a smile.

"Two months along." You pulled me into your embrace, happy tears trailing down our faces. Seven months later we brought a beautiful baby boy, Riley Andrew, into this world. And a year and half later, a little girl, Ashley Jordan.

The September after Ashley was born, you were deployed. We knew it was going to be hard but you said it was something you had to do. For your dad. For us. I held Riley's hand, while Ash was in my arms, watching you walk away from us.