Chapter Thirteen

He walks me to my front door and says goodbye to me, knowing that my mother would lose it if he walked me inside.

My school calls to say that classes will be canceled tomorrow, so I call Elena to see if she'd like to stay the night at my house, but instead she suggests that I go to her house.

I sneak out of my bedroom window, because I know my mother would never agree, and run as fast as I can to Elena's house, which isn't very fast at all, but I eventually arrive at her house. She lets me in and ignores the fast that I'm out of breath.

"How are you?" she asks once we get into her room and a huge smile forms on her face. "Would you be annoyed if I talked about Stefan?" I can't help but laugh. "Go ahead." Elena giggles and hugs me quickly. "So, even though the date was last minute, it was still magical. We were stuck in the grill, because of the storm, and he kissed me! It was so soft, and I swear, sparks, no, fireworks went through me, you know?" I don't know. She must have seen the look on my face. "Oh my gosh, have you had your first kiss yet?" I smirk a little, "This is a non-judging area." I could barely say before bursting into laughter, but it's only funny because she's laughing too.

"What'd you do during the storm, I mean, you were stuck in an enormous house with Damon." Elena asks, "You know, Damon's pretty nice." She laughs and I look at her confusedly. "We must not be thinking of the same Damon." I smile a little, but still baffled. "During the storm, Damon and I played games." She makes a weird face. "He's so nice to me and he doesn't even let me walk home by myself because he doesn't want me to get hurt." I try to convince her of how nice he really is, but she still doesn't believe me. "You're soooo crushing on himmmm!" Elena says and I give her a weird face. "Yeah, mkay." I say in a voice heavily coated in sarcasm.

"Hey, Dessa?" I turn to her. "Yeah." holy shit, it's four in the morning, what happened? "If you were hiding something, you'd tell me, right?" She asks and I nod. "Yeah, of course." I reassure her and she smiles sadly. "So tell me what you're hiding." I breathe in steadily. I have to tell, I'm sure she won't believe me anyway. "I'm actually a mermaid." She laughs, it's too bad she's not a believer. "I was thinking along the lines of Stefan, he acts so odd sometimes. Like, for instance, once his hand got cut on a glass bottle and it was healed in a second. And, another time, his eyes turned bright red and I could see all the veins underneath his skin on his cheeks." She sighs deeply once she finishes explaining her problem with Stefan to me. "Listen, I can tell you my secrets, but I can't tell you anyone else's." I can see her face swelling up with frustrations.

"Do you know what would be fun?" Elena asks AT FIVE IN THE MORNING. "Going to sleep?" I say sarcastically. Since when was I so full of sarcasm? "Telling me what's going on with Stefan." She smiles brightly, but even Sheldon Cooper would be able to tell it's fake. "You could always ask him yourself?" She  considers it for a second. "Okay."