[06] sad pleas and broken voices

car

Rory's eyes have been wide for the past four hours. Her mind has been spinning and she's been sitting in her car for four hours. There's no doubt he's woken up by now.

He passed out after saying he killed his girlfriend. And he didn't. He couldn't have killed anyone because he would be locked up if he had. But he had bought a new apartment. Maybe he's running away from it.

Chances are he'll forget the whole conversation. And if he doesn't, it would be common sense not to bring it up if they see each other again. If.

Just as she's done rationalizing things in her head, her phone rings and she doesn't think twice before answering. Figuring she needs a distraction before she can get home and do research.

"Hi," her voice shakes as she answers.

"I need your help," a voice says on the other end. It's low and rough. Everything about it screams Harry and she doesn't even really know him yet. At all, really.

"I think you have the wrong number," she squeaks. Starts her car so she can turn the heat on. Her fingers are cold and her breath is showing in front of her.

"Please," now he sounds desperate. "Please don't hate me. I just- I need your help. You're the only who can help me."

"Help you what? I have-"

"I can give you all of the information on my case and I'll tell you everything. I can get all of the hearings that were documented and I'll- I'll cooperate. I just need your help. Please."

Hearings? "Hearings?" She asks aloud. "You've already been tried?"

There's a moment of silence. "Yes." She frowns. "I'll tell you anything you want to know."

"You were found innocent?"

"Yes."

"So what do you need my help for? It's done with, isn't it? You're not going back to court or-"

"My problem isn't a legal issue. It's psychological."

"Get a therapist," she says, ending the call as soon as she does. As she pulls back onto the road, her phone rings again. In a fleet moment, it's answered. "I'm not qualified to help someone like you, okay? I'm only in college and I haven't even gotten my degree yet. Your problem is serious if you hear things or see things and I can't-"

"I need you to help me understand her."

Her heart beats rapidly against her rib cage. It aches her and breaks her and he sounds so broken over the line. Thinks maybe he sounds broken in person too.

If he's innocent, why would he tell her he killed his girlfriend?

She bites down on her bottom lip to find some psychological reason for it, but all she comes up with is guilt and overcompensation. He feels bad for something and he's willing to take whatever hit comes his way.

"Rory?"

"Let me think," she answers softly. It contradicts the mess in her head. She thinks she should at least look into everything. "I'll call you tomorrow."

"Please help me."

"I'll call you tomorrow." She repeats. She thinks of hanging up, but a question burns its way from her lips instead. "What do you mean by you want me to help you understand her?"