Herb the Hermit

That can't be right. No, no, no, how is this happening? I need to check with Herb. Surely he would have ideas right? Anxiety flooded my system, as I clutched to my screeching one year old. Running down the stairs, forgetting about any of the essentials, I burst out the front door. The rain pierces through my thin shirt. Ember looked shocked at the sudden coldness, and pressed her small head into chest, clinging to my arm. I bowed my head, attempting to protect hers from the vicious storm erupting above us.

How could I have abandoned my common sense long enough to forget about my daughter? I rushed back to the front door, gripping the slippery knob and twisting frantically.

God Damnit! I'm locked out.

Switching Ember into my other arm, I flip over some of our decorative flower pots. In the process, one falls off our porch and shatters on the steps. Ember lets out a small whimper, her bottom lip beginning to tremble. I rub her back gently but slightly haphazardly. I was too focused at the task at hand.

Finally, after checking at least ten stupid flower pots, I found the one with the key taped to it. Briskly ripping off, I shove the key into the lock and turn it.
*****
Checking over the small back pack I had prepared, I went over my game plan. Go to Herb, run over game plan to Herb, possible revisions of game plan with Herb, get Kate, head to radio station as pre-instructed by mayor. Looking down at Ember, nested in her carrier I hastily put her in, something seemed off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I decided things were crazy enough as it is.

Gingerly lifting her up, I clip the carrier around my neck and waist. She stirred slightly, but quickly dozed off again. Sighing, I picked up her tiny hat and pulled it snug onto her head. I tucked her arms into the sling and pulled up her hood.

Walking into our mud room, I got one of Kate's old pregnancy jackets, thinking the extra protection would do vulnerable Ember good. Trying it on, the sleeves were a tad short, and it really wasn't my colour. Chuckling, I examined myself in the hall mirror. I zipped it up so it was just above Ember's neck. She looked so at peace and blissfully un aware, I couldn't help but watch.

Smiling, I fetch my rain hat and boots. Sliding them on, I felt fully prepared to brace the thirty second walk to Herb's house. How I know he is still there? Ten years of war taught Herb to stay put and wait the enemy out. Earned him the name "Herb the Hermit". Only this time, I was interested to see how his expertise could be applied to a water threat.
Peeking through our peephole, I could see the storm had only gotten worse. Bracing myself, I stepped outside.