Chapter 8: Audrey

Somewhere ahead of them, a girl's screams tore through the air, making Audrey shiver and move closer to Newt as they guided the group of gladers behind them. Eventually they came to a stop, and once everyone caught their breaths the screams became easier to hear. And twice as disturbing.

It was almost like an injured, wailing cat. The kind of noise that made your skin crawl and press your hands to your ears until it went away. There was something unnatural about it, and the darkness was only adding to the levels of creepiness. 

"You know what that reminds me of?" Minho asked, his voice no louder than a whisper. He had come up front with Thao and Thomas, standing beside Newt. 

"Ben, Alby, Thomas. Screaming after the Griever sting." She muttered back, shaking her head. "I never thought we'd have to hear someone go through that again after we left the Maze." 

"No no no!" Frypan moaned. "Don't tell me we're gonna have those suckers out here too! I can't take it." Audrey resisted the urge to turn around and glare at him, knowing that he was just as scared and confused as she was. 

"Doubt it. Remember how moist and gooey their skin was? They'd turn into a big dust ball if they rolled around out here." 

"Well, If WICKED can create grievers, they can create plenty of other freaks of nature that might be worse. Hate to say it, but that rat-looking guy said things were finally going to get tough." Thomas said, and Audrey shook her head. Because the Maze wasn't tough enough. 

"I think we should take a break." Minho interrupted before the conversation could carry on any more, and Audrey wanted to hug him for it. "Fill our little tummies and drink up. Then we should book it for as long as we can stand while the sun is still down. Maybe get a couple hours' sleep before dawn." 

"And the psycho screaming lady out there?" Frypan asked. 

"Sounds like she's plenty busy with her own troubles." Minho shrugged, and for some reason that statement terrified Audrey and caused her to shiver gently before everyone started to slip their packs off, sit down and started eating.

The woman continued to scream as they ate. "What if that's Casey." Audrey whispered to Newt, making sure Thomas was out of earshot.

"It's not." Newt assured her as he started to put everything in their pack again. "I'll carry this now." He suggested, securing it in his hand. The rest of the Gladers had begun to pack up their things, and rise to their feet.

"Is everyone ready to go?" Minho asked once every Glader was on their feet.

"I'm ready to go home." A boy named Tim grumbled, trying to adjust the pack he was holding.

"You don't have a home, shank." Minho shot back, making sure the boy knew he didn't have time for any games.

"He's really pushin' it, ain't he?" Newt asked, scowling in Minho's direction.

"I think it's good. We don't have time for any slackers."

"Rule number one." Newt laughed and smiled at her, before kissing her on the cheek.

"Right, let's run." Minho declared, before setting off into the night. Audrey sighed, and followed him. She hated running. Her lungs hurt, her feet ached, and she really needed to sleep.

"How's your leg?" She asked Newt, after they had been running for about half an hour. Her lungs were killing her.

"Shucked." He shook his head and ran on. Despite his leg being a mess, Audrey could tell that he still had the stamina of a runner. "You getting tired?"