Chapter Two

Annabeth

  Percy had been in a coma for two months now. Annabeth never left his side.

  She became more concerned by the day. He was ghastly pale. His veins popped. The air ventilator was the only thing keeping his chest rising and falling.

  Everyday, her guilt grew as it ate her up inside. She remembered that day clearly.

  It was all her fault. It was her fault she didn't see the sword soaring towards her back. It was her fault for letting her guard down. It was her fault for thinking it was over. Her fault she didn't stop him.  Her fault he took that sword in his stomach when it was meant for her. Her fault he was lying in a bed needing a machine to breath. Her fault he might not make it.

  Oh gods, she thought, he might not make it.  She doesn't know what she would do if he died. She'd be broken. Beyond repair. He was a part of her. He was what kept her going. She couldn't imagine a life without him.  She wouldn't move on, that's for sure.

  Now, Annabeth pushed his raven hair from his white forehead and gingerly placed a kiss on his head.  She sat back in her chair and leaned her head against the wall.

  Just as she was about to drift to sleep, she heard soft hooves against the wooden floor. She peeled one eye open to reveal Chiron standing before her, his face grim.

  She bolted to her feet immediately, pursing her lips. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

  When his eyes opened again, they were filled with pity. Annabeth's eyes widened and she covered her mouth. She knew what was coming.

  "Child," he began, his voice cracking, "Percy, he-we-well-we don't think he'll make it. H-his body's is g-giving u-up," Chiron stuttered as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

  Annabeth was devastated. She stood there, frozen. She didn't even realize she was crying until her tears hit the floor. She closed her eyes tight.

  No, she thought, no. This has to be a dream. A nightmare. But soon, it would only be a memory.    

  Annabeth slumped back into her chair. She glanced at Percy and sobbed. Loud, uncontrollable sobs. Chiron trotted her way and gave her a tight, fatherly hug. She leaned against his shoulder (which was possible because he changed into wheelchair form).

  Just then, the door creaked open. The rest of the seven entered. (A/N Hazel and Frank stayed for a while due to Percy's condition. And Leo hadn't searched for Calypso YET!!) Though, Annabeth didn't think much of it. She just lost the love of her life.

  Soon, everyone was circling Percy's  bed, tears in their eyes. They didn't need to be told what was going on. Not even Leo was THAT dull.

  They all said their silent goodbyes while shooting Annabeth worried looks. He's as good as gone, she thought, over and over again.

  Her entire body was shaking uncontrollably and she couldn't hear a thing. She didn't even notice the sudden gasps erupting in the room until Piper tapped her shoulder simultaneously.

  Annabeth looked up in despair. Piper laughed. Wait what, Annabeth thought. She quickly looked at Percy and her hand flew to her mouth.

  Her eyes widened as grey met green.

Disclaimer: I do not own Percy Jackson or Heroes of Olympus characters. Sadly, those were created by Rick Riordan.

A/N  Next chapter on its way. Already in progress.