Chapter 2

"They're like us, but the opposite

"They're like us, but the opposite." Tony said, tilting his head a little. Titan followed the movement. He raised a hand, and she raised a paw, placing it against his hand.

He blinked and she blinked as well. "Like doppelgängers." Ziva said, scratching Zoey's head. "Doppewhat?" Tony asked, lifting his head up and looking at her. "Doppelgängers. Physically alike, but not genially." McGee explained.

"Weird." Tony muttered as he rubbed Titan's head. "What'd you have?" Gibbs asked as he walked in, Lily following. Everyone stood up quickly as Tony picked up the clicker.

"Our marine was Collin Jackson, a Sergeant of the Marine Corps, and a dog trainer. He was 28, and on his third deployment in Iraq, with a German shepherd named Hank." Tony explained.

"He was found by Maria Feral at 11 last night. She's been counted as a suspect, since as never actually 911 until 30 minutes after finding. She claims she thought he was passed out drunk in her front yard, since he was face down and the bullet wound wasn't visible from the angle. She claimed it wasn't until she kicked him many times that she flipped him over and realized what had happened." McGee took over.

"The head dog trainer, Will George, is being notified and asked for being interviewed as we speak. We concluded we should start with him until any others step up to tell a possible other side of the story." Ziva finished. "Good work." Gibbs said, walking toward the elevator to go to Abby's lab with Lily following.

~

"The German shepherd he worked with was Hank, as Tony already said so. Hank was on his technically fourth deployment, since he never really finished two deployments after the handlers were discharged. Hank has gone to Iraq and Afghanistan, and was on his way to go to Iran with Collin, but... You know the rest." Archer explained as Lily walked in.

"Good job Archer. Abby find anything?" Lily asked. "She's working on any finger prints on the collar as we speak, while I'm working on fur DNA and to uncover the warehouse scent. There was also dog fur on Collin's jacket, when reports said he hadn't worked with dogs for over three months, and he didn't have a dog at home." Archer explained as she walked over to the table, allowing Lily to sniff it.

"Good. Keep up the good work." Lily said, handing her a small bone she was carrying the whole time. Archer wagged her tail happily and took it, running to Abby and laying at her feet before starting to chew on it. Lily smirked softly.

"Lily!" Gibbs called. She rushed into the elevator before it closed and went back up the bullpen floor.

~

"Jackson was great. He treated the dogs with respect, and everyone else if they treated him the same way. Hank was his best friend, and he agreed to taking him on a couple more deployments before retiring with him." Head dog trainer, Will George, explained to Gibbs and Tony.

Lily and Titan walked down the room of dog cages. Most were Labradors, Doberman, or German shepherd. They walked up to a Black labs cage.

"Who'ere you?" It asked. "Special K-9 Lily, part of NCIS, and alpha of KCTS." Lily said, showing her badge strapped to her collar. "Very special K-9 Titan." Titan said, showing her badge.

"Whatever it is, I got nothing to tell ya. I ain't your dog." The lab said. "We just need to know where Hank is, the bomb sniffing dog." Titan said. "Hank? Oh, Hank's training the other dogs right now. He's out on the field." The lab said.

"Thank you." Lily said before trotting toward the field outside with Titan following. They saw a German shepherd barking orders at other dog, that were jumping over a wall and going through barb wire.

"Hank." Lily said as they walked up. Hank turned, ears straight up. "You're not my next dog team, I'm guessing." Hank said. "Special K-9 Lily, part of NCIS, and alpha of KCTS." Lily showed her badge, letting Hank study it. "Very special K-9 Titan." Titan showed her badge and Hank nodded.

"What's NCIS doing here?" Hank asked. "There was a murder of your partner, Collin. We came to investigate." Titan said. Hank's ears twitched slightly. "Oh." Was all he said.

"We're sorry to tell you this way, but we need you to answer some things." Lily said. "If it helps find the killer of my best friend, then hit me with it." Hank growled. "Was Collins okay with all the dogs? Did any of them hate the way he commanded them?" Titan asked.

"All of them loved him. He was the nicest trainer they had. I was the lucky one to get him for the rest of my life. Expect one dog. His name was Scar. He was always angry, ever since his owner was resigned. He hated every trainer, especially Collin. He didn't want anyone else. He's that one over there." Hank pointed his claw to a German shepherd with a scar going on the side of his neck that was barking orders at the other dogs.

"Any person that didn't like Collin?" Lily asked. "Not that I know of. Collin made it his goal to keep everything in line, and everyone to like him. He was friendly to everyone." Hank said.

"That's all we need to know. Thank you, Hank, and sorry for your loss." Lily said. "I thank you for trying your best to find the person or dog who did this. Please find them, so he does not go in vain." Hank said. "We'll do everything we can." Titan said. Hank nodded and raised his paw above his eyebrows as a salute. Lily saluted back before he ran off to command the other dogs.

"Well, that's some good information." Titan said before someone bumped into her, making her lurch forward a little. "Hey! Watch it!" Titan called to the dog that had bumped into her. "Shut it, mutt." The German shepherd, who was Scar, growled.

"Who you calling mutt?" Titan growled. "I am, now fuck off." Scar growled. Titan snarled before turning around, starting to walk back to Tony and Gibbs. "Calling me a mutt. Someone's got a fucking temper." She muttered. Suddenly, she was tackled and pinned to the ground.

Scar bit into her shoulder, making her kick him off with her back legs. Scar slammed to the ground before Titan pinned him to the ground biting into his neck. Scar bite Titan's snout, making her let go.

"Cmon mutt! Fight like a real dog!"

"Bring it, Princess!"