Chapter 32: One Step Ahead

Nemia was training as usual when Irina came looking for her. The flicker of her deep blue dress in the corner of her vision made her stomach drop, but she forced herself to finish the set of exercises as though she hadn't noticed.

"Nemia," Irina called as she turned away to put down her staff. She must have been in a good mood; she leaned over the fencing in a more casual manner than Nemia had ever seen her in.

"Yes?" She had to come closer to get her water flask. She'd strung its strap over a fence pol at Irina's elbow, close enough that she could smell Irina's perfume, a sharp reminder that she probably smelled exactly how she felt-- very, very sweaty. She felt herself blushing, and then scowling. She had no reason to be embarrassed. It was Irina who kept inserting herself where she wasn't wanted. But perhaps she'd learned something about Morie's whereabouts. That would be welcome news, and the thought made her less irritated.

"There's someone I want you to meet."

That didn't sound like information. "Oh."

"I think you should take a break and come have lunch with us."

"I really shouldn't."

"You need to have lunch sometime," Irina said breezily, tugging the flask out of her hands and slinging it over her shoulder. "I'll carry this up so you can refill it. Grab whatever you need."

Nemia did have to eat sometime, but she usually did so on a patch of dusty grass a bit away from the sandy training rings, with Sam and Nick and Cara. And Morie.

Maybe this person Irina wanted her to meet was important to their search. She cast a nervous look around the yards-- surely no one cared exactly where she ate her lunch.

She grabbed her cloth sack from beneath the narrow shade of a shed and trotted after Irina up the castle hill, catching up easily. "Who is it?"

"An old friend. Savion Regenmace."

Immediately put out, Nemia slowed. Regenmaces were awful, the lot of them, a sworn enemy of their little group, even if the noble family wasn't quite aware of it. Savion had been a childhood tormenter of Sam and so a vowed nemesis of Morie, and Ezren Regenmace, the family's head, had a reputation to rival Lord Delmeneth, leader of the Inigrit. And Delmeneth was an actual attempted poisoner.

Irina looked over her shoulder. "Oh, he's not bad, don't be like that."

"I didn't say anything." But she slowed her pace even further as she followed Irina through the castle halls and up stairs to the Laycreek rooms.

"Savion," Irina said immediately as she opened the door. There was a sharp clang in response.

"I was just checking on the food!"

"Making sure there was enough left after all your snacking?"

"I wasn't snacking," the male voice answered, aggrieved, and Irina finally moved so Nemia could see in.

The door opened on a study in the Laycreek colors of blue and golden brown, or at least she assumed were the colors, from the tapestry stitched with the crest hanging over the fireplace. The crest, a looping river under two crossed swords, was mirrored on the opposite wall, carved into the stone above another closed door. A thick rug showing signs of wear covered the stone floor, a high desk with elaborately carved legs was pushed against the back wall, and several deep leather chairs strained and sagging with age were arranged near the fireplace around a table heaped with platters.

From one of these chairs a boy with pale hair in a long ponytail unfolded himself to stand and turn to face them, his lanky frame dwarfing the high-backed chair.