Dear Trayvon

Dear Trayvon,

I heard the news today. I would love to say that I was surprised, but I wasn’t. I watched everyday as the trial of your murder unfolded. I watched video recordings where your assailant said he wouldn’t have changed anything; that it was God’s will. I heard him say that that it was you that was stalking him; a thought that I find peculiar since you were on foot and he was in a vehicle. I also heard him say that he only shot you because you were beating him into the sidewalk; but I wonder how you would have been able to do this…had he not left his vehicle, as the police asked him not to pursue you. I watched George Zimmerman sit smugly in that courtroom, with no sign of remorse. One would think that even if he felt pressured to kill you…the reality that he took a life would leave him feeling remorseful…but I never saw that. Perhaps if I had, then I would have at least felt that the shooting was REALLY an accident. Maybe if I hadn’t heard him call you a punk…without having the first conversation with you…I might have thought that you hadn’t been profiled.

I watched the defense insult your mother, Sabrina Fulton, asking her if she hoped the screams for help had come from you. The question was supposed to indicate that if they had come from you then George Zimmerman would have been the aggressor. Clearly though, this line of questioning was geared to knock her off balance, But your mother is a Queen and handled herself, as such, she was clear…the only hope she could have possibly wanted was that you would have been alive.

On Facebook, I saw where your murder was compared to that murder of a 12 year old Caucasian boy in Texas. It is always sad how we place victims on trial. How one of you would have to appear more “innocent” than the other. One would have to be more responsible for his own death, than the other. One would have to be right, where the other would clearly have to be wrong.

The media criticized the use of a younger picture of you. They criticized your tattoos and other various parts of your life that had absolutely nothing to do with your murder that night.

I never expected justice; for even if the jury had found Zimmerman guilty of murder…there could not have been justice…you would still be gone. The world would still be missing your smile and your family would still be mourning the loss of a bright and brilliant angel.

Clearly evil was at work that night…and when I saw a smile come over the face of that defendant I understood…evil lives on. George Zimmerman is a genre of evil. He had it in him to do the right thing…he failed. He could have seen you for an individual, but he did not. He decided who and what you were…and created his own predisposed fear…and he acted on that fear. He followed you…and after calling the police…based on his suspicions, he IGNORED their orders. He took the law into his own hands, He approached someone who was bigger than him and then claimed victimization.

Shame on you George Zimmerman…I do not know how you sleep at night. I do not know how the eyes of that child fail to keep you awake all night …every night. I do not know where your soul has gone…but I pray our Creator is merciful with you.

He may have been found not guilty…but he was not found INNOCENT.

I am thankful that you are in peace now…lay your hands on your family…as their pain is deep…and may God have mercy on us all.