VI - Tutelage

General Gandra breathed out as the white doors opened before him. On the throne sat King Meria, his eyes narrowed.

He walked towards him, his steps nervous but strong.

"Your Majesty," Gandra bowed low before he looked up at him. "The Prince's... protector has been identified."

"And?" Meria replied, hardly interested.

"Her name is Evia Dorian. I believe we have seen her before."

The King stopped. His eyes flitted onto the General, and he stared. "I thought she was killed."

"Falcon Huilant must have failed to kill her after all."

Meria shuffled back. "Bring her to me."

Gandra swallowed. "Your Majesty... I cannot."

He stared. "And why is that?"

"She is under Prince Steedless' protection. No one is allowed near her, as there are several of the Prince's personal guards at the door. Although... I have heard the healers say it is a fatal wound."

The King breathed in sharply. "You are certain it is her?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Gandra watched the King stand. "The assassins... The ones that helped her escape- I want you to find them."

"To bring to you, Your Majesty?"

"I want them all. But... you will see to it that Cassius is unharmed, you understand?"

The General narrowed his eyes. "Why, may I ask of Your Majesty?"

The King chuckled. "Cassius... he is the son of Senna Arnon." He paused for a moment. "You remember Senna, don't you, General?"

"Yes, Your Majesty." Gandra swallowed, trying desperately not to show his fear. "I do."

"Then you will know his... importance to me." He replied. "Find the assassins and bring them to me. If all should fail, kill the others- but on your life you will not touch Cassius. I want him alive and unharmed."

"Certainly, Your Majesty."

"And make sure that Evia does not leave Renita, understood?"

The General bowed. "As you wish."

----

Falcon thrust his sword at the other, but Cassius held it back. Beads of sweat sprung from Falcon's face as he strained to disarm him. As the blades scraped closer to the hilts, Cassius overpowered him and sent his sword flying. It pierced the floorboards a way off to his right, and he shook his head.

"Well well," he grinned.

"Rematch." he replied, a grin itching up his face as he retrieved it. "I'm not being beaten by a kid."

He smiled. "Since when have I ever been the kid?"

Falcon rolled his shoulders back and stepped forwards. The swords wavered for a moment before Falcon advanced, swiping the metal across him. Cassius blocked every blow he delivered, despite his best efforts. He swung forwards, and Falcon gasped as he flung his sword to the ground.

"How do you do that?" he muttered.

Cassius shrugged. "Focus."

"On what, exactly?"

"The blade." Cassius said. "Don't let it-"

They cracked as they met once more, but he held his balance.

"-reach the hilt, you sneaky bastard."

Falcon smiled, trying not to show that be was impressed. He had struck him early, but even being in mid-sentence didn't catch him off. This time, he watched his sword, mirroring every move Cassius made in an attempt to confuse him. However, as he paused for only a slight second, Cassius struck his weapon from him, and it landed on the ground with a clatter. He then pointed his sword at Falcon's chest, so he couldn't reach his own.

Cassius chortled as he lowered it. "Slack."

Falcon sighed. "Do shut up."

At that moment, an eagle cried out harshly, cutting through the room. Cassius startled slightly before his expression straightened. Suddenly, Falcon sensed something different.

Cassius looked up at him. "The eagle."

Falcon narrowed his eyes in confusion as he followed him out the door. "What the- Cassius?"

He clambered up the wall and pulled himself up onto the roof. Falcon swiftly followed, and looked up with him at the eagle. There was a small white patch below one wing, Cassius noticed, but Falcon just looked at him.

"Is... is it her?"

Cassius looked away from the sky and back to him. "You want to ask why I-" he sighed.

"Yes." Falcon said. "You just said her name, then ran out until you found a damned eagle."

"It's the same one." Cassius murmured.

Falcon stared. "Huh?"

"It's the same one." Cassius repeated. "I see it every day. It flies into Galamir at dawn and back east at dusk."

"Why does that have anything to do with Evia possibly dead or in the same quarters as damned Prince Steedless?"

Cassius stopped. "I- I don't know. I just feel... like I'm still waiting. For something."

Falcon chuckled. "That's crazy talk."

"Is it?" Cassius replied, turning and smiling. "Maybe I'm just missing something. Who knows what it means." He swallowed. "But I feel that I need to wait. Not for her... something else. Someone else."