amnesia

PROLOGUE

::: A painful migraine seemed to be embedded into Zuria's skull, minutes after witnessing the last strike she was giving her boyfriend-or ex, Niall.

Her eyes were swollen shut-puffy and red from all the crying, and tears streamed down her tawny brown cheeks at a never ending pace. It's like she had an endless supply of them.

She didn't know why she was so hurt this time. This is his SECOND time. The first time, he was legitimately drunk. She knew that her mother was a "strong black woman" who wouldn't fold for a man using being "drunk and not having any control" as an excuse for cheating, so she simply didn't tell her.

Zuria forgave Niall and he promised that it would never happen again. But then, temptation seemed to claw its way into Niall's mind because he found himself making the same mistake.

Zuria witnessed it firsthand. She walked in, expecting to find her boyfriend, Niall, fast asleep and snoring adorably like he always did after a long day at work-but instead, she found him in his boxers, being hovered over by his ex girlfriend Ally Porter.

Zuria didn't feel the tears activate and didn't feel the anger emerge until Niall started pleading for her forgiveness-pleading for the second time, after a year of Zuria trying to forgive him for his first mistake.

"Get out!" Zuria spat, her eyes trained on the cream carpet of the hallway and right hand pointed down the long staircase where Ally had ran earlier.

"Baby-"

"Baby? Hah! Hell no," Zuria managed to laugh-but it was in a cold and harsh way. "GET OUT NOW, BEFORE YOU SEE ME GET REALLY MAD!" She warned him, her eyes finally taking a quick glance at his face. His eyes were also wet. She resettled her gaze back onto the carpet, though her foot tapped impatiently as anger filled her quickly.

"At least let me explain," Niall cried, stepping towards her with his hands about to cup her cheeks. Zuria moved away, causing a hurt expression to flash across his face. "I understand why you're so quick to react like this, but I had no idea she was coming over here. I knew you would be home so why would-"

"I bet!" Zuria scoffed before sighing irritably. "Honestly, Niall, I don't wanna hear a damn thing that you have to say. I just want you to leave," Zuria seethed. "It's not hard, it's actually pretty damn simple, considering you didn't give a fuck about my feelings since day one."

"I care about you more than anything in this world, and you know that!" Niall interrupted her passionately. "How could you say that when I've loved you more than I loved anyone-more than I loved myself?" He questioned painfully.

"...All you have to do is take your shit out that room," Zuria continued, her eyes now trained on the bedroom door, "along with Ally's bawled up shorts-she was in so much of a rush that she forgot to put them back onto her funky ass-and GET. OUT."

"I don't know why you keep telling me to leave when this is my house. I pay most of the rent, basically all of it," Niall suddenly said, growing angry. "I'm trying to explain but you're not even listening, Zuria! It's like I'm talking to a fucking wall."

"A wall? Niall, I've listened to you the first time when you said you were drunk," Zuria mumbled, her voice cracking as more tears built up behind her exhausted brown eyes, "and I listened to you beg me to stay with you. I'm done listening. This is your house, thank you for so generously reminding me of that, so I'm leaving."