Chapter 9 - friend or foe

After breakfast of cold pizza, apparently these guys didn't cook, she was no closer to an answer than before. Though she was seriously thinking about leaving. 

"Turn her in. There is no question about it. She needs to go back to the facility or Dad will have your hide, mine and everyone else's."

"I am not going to give her over to those lunatic scientists." Loc replied.

They really didn't care if she overheard.  While she was grateful that she wouldn't be blindsided; she was horrified they were discussing her like a stray dog, in the other room. With every word Lash uttered she got angrier and Loc got louder.

"That's it." She growled. 

With a hand on her shoulder, Dax asked her to stop. She slapped him off. He stood shocked with a look of surprise. Instantly she felt regret. A hurt  look followed across his face. Why did she do that. Reflex? No one had really ever touched her before except her mom. Loc sleeping with her had been a huge step last night. He stepped further away when she started to apologize,  "I'm sorry Dax," She really wanted to say more to him but she needed to vent too,"if I'm not welcome here, I can't stay any longer." 

He started to form a protest but she stormed out of the kitchen. It was harder top push past the two brother's who were nose to nose in the living room. Rye was up next to the ugly one, holding him back from slugging Loc. She didn't spare a glance. Ignoring Loc's, "Where are you going?"

 No one immediatly followed her. The walls muffled the male voices as they continued their argument. Upstairs she gathered up her dirty clothes from the laundry hamper in the bathroom. Then made her way to search Rye's bedroom for the back pack of clothes Loc had bought her yesterday.

"Uhem, looking for this?" 

With dirty laundry under one arm, she spun.

Loc stood there with her back pack in one hand and the other on the door jam. She pushed forward with the intent of snatching it out of the air. He held it back out of arms reach, causing her chest bump his and nose almost hit his chin. Where she was soft he was all hard planes. Suddenly she was very aware of her own body. Heart beat wild and racing under heated skin. Her eyes dropped to his lips then back to his emerald gaze. She shied, backing away from him as his eyes twinkled and mouth kicked up with mirth.

"Not Loc." 

His smile grew, "Nope! Good try, huh?" Rye waved the back pack in front of  himself as she made a hasty retreat to safer ground. It dangled off his pointer finger, palm facing up. She didn't go for the bait this time.

"Why are you up here and not down there?"

"Because you're not down there."  Closing the door behind him, Rye blew a raspberry.  She backed up as he made his way to the edge of the bed, flinging her back pack and plopping down next to it. He patted the bed next to him. She folded her arms in silent protest.

He rolled his eyes and stretched out before flopping back. She didn't know what to think of him. Choosing to ignore him, she made another move for her backpack. As she reached for it he wrapped his arms around her and flung her onto the bed next to him before resuming a nonchalant pose again.

"What is your problem?" Frustration caused her to raise her voice. 

He shrugged noncommittal, eyes sparkling. This was a game to him.

She blew a damp strand of black hair out of her eyes and pulled herself up.

"You are so immature." She snatched her backpack close and quickly crammed her dirty laundry inside. She was almost to the door before he was behind her again, grabbing around her middle.

"That's it!" She swung her leg low and wide. He tripped not expecting a fight back.