Chapter 7

Loki felt his mouth go dry at what she declared. Was she serious? Did he have to pick?
His eyes searches into hers, looking for any signs that she was just kidding. But he saw none. He saw nothing but pain and anger in her eyes. "Y-you can't be serious, love." he whispered.
"I am serious." Athena said. "You have gone too far in this. I told you to stop this madness."
Loki and her had a stare-off. "You know I can't do that." Loki whispered.
"Yes you can." Athena said determined. "It's either me, or not."
"And if I choose you? Give up now? Will we really be together after all I have done? I killed over eighty mortals, Athena, I can't just back out now!"
"Can't or won't?"
"Don't do this." Loki growled, his eyes turning back a shade of blue. He turned his back to her.
"Please, Loki -"
"I can't choose you, Athena." Loki interrupted, turning to her. "We wouldn't have the life we wanted, you know that. If I were to give up now, I would be sent to Asgard for my punishment. I'll even get executed."
"I won't let that happen." Athena pleaded. "We can run away together, like we would always say before -"
"Before I found out the truth about myself?" Loki retorted. "This is reality, we can't just simply run away."
"We can try." Athena whispered. "I've lost you once already, I don't want to lose you again."
Loki's eyes turned back to his emerald green at the sight of Athena breaking down. He sighed and took a step towards her. Athena looked away, trying to stop her tears from flowing. "Oh Athena," he cooed, slowly bringing her into his arms, "you know that things can't go back to what they were a year ago."
"I know." Athena whispered into his chest. "But I can dream."
"Dreams can lead you to things that you can't handle." Loki said lowly. "I should know." Athena looked up at him.
"You're being forced to do this." she whispered. "I can take you away from this -" Loki's eyes turned blue again, and he pulled away from her, walking to the balcony.
"I don't need your help." he said coldly. He then saw Tony Stark in his suit, flying his way towards them. "Stay out of my way." he commanded to her without tearing his gaze from Stark, before walking back into the penthouse, ignoring her presence.
"Loki -"
"Don't interrupt us." Loki interrupted rudely, facing the door where Stark was going to come from.
***
Athena sat on the sofa uncomfortably, not wanting to be in the same room as Loki, since she was still mad at him.
She turned at the sound of new footsteps, Tony Stark staring at her with a frown. Athena merely huffed and motioned with her head towards Loki, who was staring out to the city from the balcony. "Trouble in paradise?" Stark joked.
"I don't understand that reference." the two demigods in the room said at the same time. Both gave each other annoyed glares. Stark whistled lowly at the obvious tension.
"I'm just gonna get a drink now." he said, walking to his bar. He grabbed a glass and then glanced at the other two. "Want a drink?" They both shook their heads. "No drink? You sure?"
"The Chitauri are coming. Nothing will change that. What have I to fear?" Loki told Tony. Athena huffed from her spot, making him send her a warning glance.
"The Avengers." Tony replied. Loki and Athena stared at him confused. Tony rolled his eyes slightly, and poured himself some whiskey while explaining what he meant. "That's what we call ourselves. Sort of like a team. 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes'. That kind of thing."
"Yes, I've met them." Loki said amused.
"'Met them'," Athena snorted, "that sounded so human coming from you when you are supposedly a 'monster'." Tony sent Athena a smile while Loki glowered at her from his spot.
"I like her." Tony complimented. "A shame that you guys are having disagreements."
"Athena, do you mind giving Stark and I a bit of some privacy?" Loki asked through gritted teeth. Athena frowned at him.
"And why would I do that?" she retorted.
"Ooh, feisty." Tony teased, making Loki's anger rise.
"If you leave now I promise I won't harm Stark. . .much." Loki compromised. Athena scowled in response, opening her mouth to refuse only for Tony to interrupt.
"Nah, it's okay Athena, you can go." Tony waved off. "I can handle myself."
Athena stared at him warily. "Are you sure -"
"Yeah! Sure!" Tony waved off. "Go check out my library or something. JARVIS will show you where to go. Hey bud."
"Yes sir, I will show Lady Athena where the library is." came the AT's voice. Athena gave him another look.
"Are you sure -"
"I'm sure." Tony assured her. "Besides, we're just talking." Tony faced Loki. "Right?"
"Of course." Loki said smoothly. He turned to Athena. "Have fun in the library. Do bring a book for me." Athena have them one last look, before walking away from them. When she left, Tony's shoulders slightly relaxed, glad that Athena was out of harm's way. Loki noticed and scoffed. "Please," he scoffed, "like I would harm her."