Part 3 // Complications

The technology used by the SOE agents was immensely risky.

The equipment that had been transported in Victor's suitcase took up quite a bit of room. During the day, Rhea attempted to hide it at the back of the kitchen cupboards, but it wasn't the best of disguises. The real risk was when it was used.

The first time Victor used the wireless operator, they had both been on edge.

Both of them had been trained in Morse code. But communications between them and London had to be brief. Victor had obtained some information from the liaison office – but it was only the first week.

"Five more," Rhea muttered under her breath.

She was watching the street from the behind the curtains. It was typically bustling with people and noise. But her heart stopped every time she saw someone walking in a brisk manner on the pavement below.

The fear that Nazis might storm the building any moment was very real.

"It's taking a long time to transmit," mumbled Victor, tapping away.

They had both heard the stories of the German military intelligence. They had radio detection vans that scoped all over Paris, ready to catch spies in the act.

No one ever heard what became of them.

The job at Bijoux de qualité seemed to be going smoothly. Rhea had learned more about the glimmering jewellery behind the glass cases, although she noticed that they didn't have much business. Florence explained that she wasn't finding it difficult with money herself. The job didn't pay well.

Meanwhile, that was the last thing on Rhea's list of worries.

Victor had swung by that afternoon. The shop was dead. Rhea and Florence were sitting behind the counter, counting the stock lethargically. They had both looked up in surprise at the sound of the bell.

"How's it suiting you, my dear?"

Rhea stood gracefully, forcing a smile on to her face as he approached the counter. Victor turned to shake Florence's hand – "So good to finally meet you. I've heard a lot of glowing reviews about this place."

Rhea her way around the side, dodging a stack of boxes. The pleasant smile remained plastered on her face. She took his arm with ease. "This is my husband, Victor."

"How gorgeous," said Florence.

"Just wanted to come by and see the place," Victor said, holding eye contact with her for a little too long. "Addison adores jewellery, don't you, Addison?"

"Of course."

To Rhea, their acting seemed translucent. Not only was the conversation a bit too forced, she scolded herself for hanging on to his arm like that. Now, she appeared lovesick as well as a suspicious. Only that morning she'd had a conversation with Florence about how she wasn't that fond of jewellery.

"So have you been married long?"

"Seven years this October," Victor said smoothly.

"Oh, really? From what Addison told me I didn't get the impression you two had been together very long! How charming. Does Paris make quite a change from Haute-Normandie?"

"Yes, quite a change. We were planning on coming south, but, you know. Complications."

They all smiled uncomfortably.

Rhea's eyes dropped to the carpet. Fascinating. Never before had she noticed how detailed the pattern was. Perhaps her brain wanted to focus on anything except for this scenario.

"Right. I have to get back to the liaison office. Do you want me to go to market on my way home?"

She blinked. The cupboard was full, and Victor knew that. But his offer did keep up the appearance of normality. This was married life.

"No, we're fine for dinner. Thank you anyway, dear," she played along.

Rhea's lips brushed his cheek before he said goodbye. Their exchange felt more confident now. They both stopped to wave as he stepped out the door. Victor extended his own arm, and called out something along the lines of nice to meet you, by the way.

Florence returned to the order list. Sticking out her chest, she couldn't wipe the fond smile off her face.

"What?"

"Nothing," her voice was laced with amusement. "You just didn't tell me how lucky you were."

That night, Rhea had to work an hour late.

Nothing out of the ordinary, according to Mrs. Blondeau. The old French woman didn't appear to do much work, but no doubt she had acquired quite a fortune from her late husband. Rhea didn't think much of her snobbish demands.

Rhea finished labelling the stock, and stretched. It had been a bothersome day. The sky had turned as black as ink outside.

She wondered if Victor was worried. After all, there was no way of letting him know the old woman had kept her behind. Florence had somehow slipped off, giving her a sympathetic glance. See you tomorrow Addison, she had said cheerily.

Rhea put on her coat. Wasting no time, she was glad to leave the jewellery store after all those hours. The keys were cold even through her gloves. The door was safely locked now.

She wasn't alone.

Rhea hadn't sensed the presence that was behind her. Turning around, her breath caught in her throat as she bumped shoulders with a man. A fumbled apology escaped her lips, but died as soon as the uniform registered to her. Poker-straight and proud, the German officer only raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there," she said hastily.

Cold fear was now coursing through her. His eyes swept her briefly, as if the Nazi was deciding whether it was worth a punishment.

"How much?"

He had asked the question in broken French. It was like a record that no longer sounded right.

"How much... of what?"

Rhea's eyes darted around. No one else was nearby.

"How much?" he said, more urgently this time.

"I don't know what you mean," she said, trying not to look guilty. "My name is Addison, I've only worked here a week – "

The German frowned.

A deep frown was forming on his face. She wondered if he could hear the beat of her heart. Her terror must have been evident in her eyes. Apathetic, his eyes travelled down to her hand. The wedding ring glinted under the streetlight.

"Apologies," he said sternly, tipping his hat.

Rhea was rooted to the spot.

It was in disbelief that she watched him stride away, down the dark alley. Her heartbeat slowed down. She allowed herself to exhale.

She didn't even know she had been holding her breath.