Chapter 27: Wicked Eyes

The buzzing came from somewhere above her.

Ellana opened her eyes slowly, taking in the bright pale pink of the passing through the long frilled curtains.

It painted her wallpaper a pastel purple and made her blankets look like seafoam.

Orlais.

She yawned, her hand rising past the intricate carved headboard to snatch her phone from its rattling surface.

Her screen greeted her happily, and the name made her legs draw up into her stomach with giddiness.

Incoming Call...
F.H. 7:46am

This time, there wasn't any hesitation as she drew the phone to her ear after answering.

"Vhenan?"

It was quiet, a quick drawn breath the only reply.

She waited, working her mouth of sleep. She listened to his breath and the sound of the curtains wafting against the thick carpet almost like they were one in the same.

"Ha-

"Forgive me. I suppose I am not used to the endearment yet. At least not the vocal version of it."

"Mmmm." She smiled, sinking further into the sheets with the accompaniment of his voice.

"Is it too early to call you?"

"Not really." She answered, resisting another yawn.

"But you were in fact sleeping."

"Yes, but I'm not going complain about you waking me up." She smiled.

"Ah—" she could almost hear his grin. "That is the tone I was hoping for. I wanted to fill my mind with your voice this morning. This may be my only time to speak with you today and I hoped it would be full of your languid teases and wicked chuckling."

Ellana's toes curled.

"Do you have any plans today?" He continued.

"I don't have to be anywhere today until noon."

"Oh? Sightseeing tour?" He was shuffling something near the phone.

"I wish." She groaned. "Today is my event. Thing. For my clan."

"You do not have to explain if you do not want to."

"I don't." She agreed, frowning at the idea of the Winter Palace.

She had an appointment with Ambassador Briala at noon at the Halamshiral governmental offices. She had stopped by the building the day before after her flight during her little adventures around the city. It was huge.

Afterwards it was back to the hotel for a shower to start getting ready for the Ceremony and dinner tonight.

It was all today.

"To be honest I'd rather just ditch it and tag along with whatever you're doing."

"I do not believe we are in the same city." He answered simply.

"Oh yeah. Probably not."

She hadn't through of that. He was probably in Val Royeaux, not Halamshiral.

"And aside from simple geography, I do not think you would enjoy my work today either."

She was quiet, listening to him rustling. Getting dressed? Doing his hair? "I would just enjoy your company emma lath."

Her whispered response made the noise stop.

She felt her face flush at her slip. Too much. Way too much.