Egyptian Wonder

If I had to describe it I would use the word huge. It by far was the largest structure I had ever seen. I stood alongside the pharaoh, Khufu as it came to view. Shivers went up and down my spine as I saw its shadow loom over the vast desert.

"Water, servant!" Khufu commanded. So I poured some water into his golden cup. "Is this it not the largest structure you have ever seen?" he asked me.

"I am awestruck by its size." Was all I managed to say. I focused on the tall mountain of rock, slowly being raised by the strength of men's back. Even from the long distance they were from the pyramid, I could hear the moving of stones, the struggles of the workers.

"It should be done by the time I am deceased." Pharaoh said to me. "I will always be remembered when people look to my lovely tomb."

"Yes your majesty." I said with a bow. I was the Pharaohs favorite servant. He had offered to upgrade my job to food tester, or wine server, but I declined all offers, for I loved to be the water boy. I became a servant when my family could no longer pay to keep their home, and feed all my siblings. So they kicked me out of the home to be collected by the pharaoh, and used as a worker for him. The pharaoh has been good to me. I have been a servant for 5 years now.

As I stepped towards the pyramid, my old life flashed back to me. From when I was a little boy, to when I was taken to work for the pharaoh. I felt that my whole life I had been waiting to see something that would make me wonder. I looked at the pyramid, and imagined it finished. In my head, it stretched to the gods. I could see the gods touching the tip of the pyramid, feeling it, pulling it. They pulled it higher until it was touching the stars, and the moon. I woke up with a snap from that dream. The pyramid was big, but not that big.

"The gods will surely let me in to the afterlife when they see the wonderful life I lived." Khufu said, smugly.

"Yes Pharaoh, you have lived a great life so far! Let us hope it continues to be good!" I answered kindly.

I feared the worst for the king. He was getting older and would not be on earth for much longer. He would soon be welcomed by the gods into a new life. And the pyramid would get him there! If it was not finished before death, perhaps he wouldn't be able to go to his afterlife! All I can do is hope for the best, and pray to the gods. Perhaps then the pyramid could be finished before his death. It would take a miracle!

"Pull it faster!!" I heard the yell. I looked to the pyramid to see twenty men pulling one large stone up the ramp. They were dangerously close to the edge of the ramp.

"STOP THEM! THEY ARE GOING TO FALL!" The Pharaoh yelled. I could tell no one was going to stop them fast enough. The rope that was pulling the rock snapped and catapulted ten workers off the ramp onto the lower steps of the pyramid. From the place where I stood, it looked like a mound of blood and flesh. This was horrible. The pharaohs workers were working just to fall to there deaths. Many of the Pharaohs workers jumped up and ran to the scene of the accident. Ten minutes later, the workers ran back. All of them were moaning from sadness.

"Survivors?" Khufu mumbled. He already knew the answer. One of the workers shook his head. I said a silent prayer.

"All are dead, 9 were dead when we got there, 1 died when we got there. He bled to death. The others must have died fast." The worker said. I shivered. 10 dead. I came on the worst day possible. The pharaoh stood stunned. A servant holding bread fainted. It was terribly quiet. The only thing that would be heard was the screaming of the workers, still pulling stones up the hill. The Pharaoh suddenly commanded that they keep moving toward the pyramids.

"If they are dead, they need to be properly mummified. Send someone to collect the bodies." He said to the bread servant who had recently woken up.

"y-yes S-s-sir." He stuttered dizzily. He ran away to find someone willing to go.