Chapter Three

Daryl had disappeared the day after I walked off, Rick saying something about him going to find Sophia. It had been a couple days now, and I was the only one who seemed to notice. It wasn't like him to not come back, or at least not since I'd been here.

I took to practicing my combative skills, taking the time to work on my kicks and punches, just so I had something worth showing when he returned. Something to prove him wrong.

That's when I heard the gunshot, and the desperate yelling of someone I couldn't make out. I hurried to the front of the house, and then I saw them, Rick and Shane, dragging an unconscious Daryl into the house.

I followed after them, panic rising within me. "Is he dead?" I called out to Rick, who only shook his head quickly. "Stay here." And with that last order, they pulled him into a room, shutting the door.

I sat in the living room, my knees pulled up to my chest as I stared blankly at the floor. A few hours had passed before the bedroom door opened and the two stepped out, Rick looking in my direction. "He's awake," he stated motioning with his hand.

I nodded standing up, slowly making my way into the room. Daryl was laying there, facing away from the door when I entered. "Daryl?" I greeted quietly, not wanting to startle him.

He turned his head to look over his shoulder and our eyes met. "What'r you doing in here?" he grumbled hoarsely, wincing when he tried to roll over. I stepped around to sit on the other side, looking at him. He was shirtless, bandaged up and looking miserable. I had never really looked at him before; his light blue eyes, scraggly hair that was beginning to cover his eyes, the starting of a goatee.

He was definitely attractive, but that wasn't important to me. "You look good for someone who just got shot." I mused lightheartedly, and I could have sworn I saw the corner of his lip as it turned upward. "I feel like shit." he retorted looking into my eyes.

I reached out, flattening a piece of the bandage as it had begun to peel off. His body was tense as I did so, and I wasted no time in pulling my hand back. "Do you need anything?" I asked, hoping to be of some use.

He shook his head, "Nah, just stay here for a while. Layin' here is boring." he commented, and I couldn't help but feel as though it were a small victory on my behalf. He didn't push me away.

"Can do!" I exclaimed softly and readjusted myself so that I was laying down beside him.

He smirked a little before closing his eyes, "You ain't too bad, peaches." Before I could respond, I heard the soft hum of a snore.