It only begins

He was a monster. This never would have happened been such a brutish idiot! She would still be here to guide him to make the right choices. He stumbled through the muddy ground, not even caring what happened to him. In the distance, he saw a house sitting by itself with leagues of land around it, fertile with crops. Even farther on the endless horizon glittered the snow-covered Spine Mountains, casting long shadows over the valley below. They seemed to be mocking him for all the endless troubles he had faced there, the shade and all. He paid no heed to the beautiful surroundings nor the impending clouds overhead, instead just continuing his maddening journey to nowhere. He just kept on walking. Not seeing the large ditch used for irrigation ahead. There was a brief falling sensation before he hit his head on a rock and passed out cold.

In his feverish mind he saw images of her. She smiled at him as only a knowing dragon could smile at her rider. Suddenly her dark purple egg appeared in front of him as he reached towards it, instead of her little triangular head greeting him, a long dead rotting corpse of her shocked him. He cried out in shock as his dream-self recoiled, shocked. Suddenly he was falling- falling- falling then he splashed. A tidal wave of... Pig slosh washed over him?

The half eaten old mush slopped across his face jolting him awake. “Wha-” he muttered, unable to form a coherent word after not speaking a single word for over six months.

“Get up you lazy lout!” a voice barked at him harshly. “I won’t tolerate good for nothing boys sleepin’ on my hard earned land.’

Again he tried to form a complete sentence “Who ar-“ a cough racked his body, seeming to burst out of his frail and underweight body. Bruises and cuts littered his body where he had been careless the last few months since she had died.

“It doesn’t matter who I am, all that matters is that you need to get your lazy arse off my land.” The man said in stern voice. Not having the strength to get up, all he could do was lay there helplessly looking like a dense idiot. Obviously not being one for slackers the demanding farmer decided to throw him of his land by force. Grabbing him roughly by the back of his long worn-out tunic, he picked him up and set him on his feet. Grabbing his hand as if to drag him off his land- he stopped suddenly, a shocked expression coming over his face. “Y-you are the one she spoke of!” Instead of throwing him off his land, he beckoned him to follow.

 As soon as they got within fifty feet of the house a young elf burst out of the house, brown curls bouncing and a little green dragon bounding along behind her. “Father, who’s that?” questioned the bright elf after giving her ‘father’ a brief hug

“A very special boy Angela. Do you think you could go fetch your mother for me? It is very important that she be here.” With that, Angela ran off, her little green dragon still following her obediently.

Not a minute later, a short woman with long silver hair came walking out of the house and down the stairs until she stood in front of him. “Yes Solembum?” she asked her voice like a trickling stream.

“I have found him Maud, the one you spoke of. It is he, I am sure.” The man-Solembum declared, eyes flickering from him to the woman.

“Fetch some water and let me see his palm.” Beckoning him Maud then said, “Come boy, It is okay I promise I won’t bite.” He followed her like a lost puppy as Solembum wandered off to go fetch water. The door opened on its own accord revealing a homey looking kitchen. Pots and pans adorned one wall while the adjacent wall homed a stove and a large washbasin next to a smaller one. A small table sat under a large window opposite the washbasins. She beckoned him over to the small washbasin as Solembum came in and poured water in to the small basin. Without a word, he disappeared into another room further in the house. Without asking, she grabbed his hand and vigorously started scrubbing it with a wet rag from the basin. When she was satisfied with his palm, she again took the rag, re-dunked it in the water and started scrubbing his face. Again she practically scrubbed the skin off, but she was satisfied, you could actually see his face. “Ah he was right. It is you, come, those fools that run your organization will be missing you.” Without warning, there was a flash of green light and they disappeared.