chapter eight

read the author's note <3

Ambrose's POV

I did not get much sleep at all during the night. After Lilly had kicked me out of her room, I had laid in bed till I saw bright rays of sunlight shining through the window. My eyes physically hurt and I was very aware of how tired I was. Once I got up from the bed, I immediately looked out through the window and hoped that not too much snow had fallen the night before. If the ground was covered in snow then I would not be able to make it to my meeting and that could hold serious consequences for my business reputation.Thankfully, the ground was only lightly covered in snow and would be easy for a horse and carriage to sledge through.

Changing into my usual business attire for the day as quickly as I could, I grabbed my cane and opened the door just a crack to peer carefully out of it. I would never admit it out loud, but I was a little nervous to face Lilly today. If she was still angry from last night then I would have a very fiery ifrit to deal with. And that was really the last thing I wanted to encounter before I sat down for four hours with three hard-headed businessmen.

"Karim!" I stepped out of my room and whisper-shouted, hoping my bodyguard would hear me before she did.

"Are you hiding from someone?"

I turned around to see her leaning against the door to her room, sipping a teacup. Fully straightening myself, I cleared my throat and gave her the usual glare.

"I thought you might be asleep so I was just trying to be quiet," I replied.

"Oh please! That would be a thoughtful thing to do, and you're not a thoughtful person. So I know you're lying," She spat back.

I told you, fiery.

"Uh huh, well, I must really be on my way," I turned around and headed towards the front door, not wanting to have any conversation with her.

Turning around I yelled back to her, "Tell Karim to meet me outside. The carriage driver said he would be here at eight sharp."

Closing the door behind me I pulled my pocket watch out and checked the time. It was only half past seven, which meant I would be standing in the cold for thirty minutes if I was to keep avoiding Lilly.

"You have two options and only one of them is correct. You can freeze to death out here or you can man up and talk to her," my conscience told me.

"Looks like I'll be freezing to death," I grumbled.

However, after ten minutes passed I realized that I would not be able to control my empire if I was dead, and I went back inside. I would have to deal with the ifrit whether or not I wanted to.

Setting my cane down by the door, I sat on a chair in the parlor and hoped she would not come out to talk to me.

Hoping never really got me anywhere.

"Still trying to avoid me?"

She was back.

"As I said before Miss Linton, I am not avoiding you," I replied calmly.

Taking a few steps towards me, I could see the smug expression on her face clearly. How had she gone from disheartened last night to smug this morning? I was only very good at keeping one emotion for a period of time.

"I've decided that I am not going to ask you again," Lilly said, finally.

My gaze snapped suddenly to hers, and I thought I had not heard her right.