Chapter 6

Fortunately, Garrett had the foresight to book us a train that left an hour after Maria's train. I was able to participate in the customary tearful goodbyes and well wishes. Arthur left before Maria as he had business to attend to back home. This all worked out quite splendidly in Garrett's eyes. He had timed everything perfectly, and none of my protective family had any idea of my impending danger.

Nevertheless, Maria suspected Garrett and I had made plans of our own. Garrett had insisted on driving with us and bringing my luggage even though we would go past the hotel on our way to the airport afterward. Unfortunately, her suspicions always favored the romantic persuasion. "Garrett's taking you somewhere, isn't he?" Maria whispered to me on the platform as we waited for her and her new husband, Robert's, train to arrive.

I slid my eyes over to her, keeping them ominous slits. She had her travel clothes on today, a high bun, smart blazer, and spiked Louis Vuitton heels. No matter the activity, Maria insisted on wearing spectacular footwear.

"We had this discussion a couple of years ago. Garrett is a friend, nothing more." I hugged myself against a gust of wind, wishing I hadn't left my jacket in my carry on. Garrett was keeping my things in the car until I was done with my goodbyes.

Maria chewed on the side of her lip, openly studying me. Finally, I looked back at her, satisfying her urge to lecture me. "What?"

"No, no. You're an adult. I just thought someday we'd move past this resolution of yours to never have a close relationship, to never marry. Garrett's a good man." I moaned inside at her lecture, ghosts of past lectures coming back to haunt me. "Harper. Those Kinleys were awful foster parents. What you witnessed under their charge..." she shook her head, "just dreadful people." Her voice was soft, yet pleading. Behind her, I saw the train coming in the distance. "But you can't live your whole life convinced that every man has that beast inside. Some are beautiful and completely worthy of your trust. You have to believe me."

Images of Mr. Kinley returning home from a drunken rage, his wife yelling at him over and over again about that unfamiliar word "brothel" flashed into my mind. I pushed them out instantly, suppressing them beyond recovery as I had done with most of my childhood memories.

I forced a smile as her train came to a halt. Maria's sorrowful face showed such concern for me I almost wanted to confess my plans. Even though she would be pleased with me going away with Garrett for the wrong reasons - I had no intention of becoming romantically involved with Garrett - I wanted to see her smiling again. Maria had a knack for forming bonds with individuals that were more of a hopeless project than a supportive partner. Watching her do this again and again had increased my existing aversion to close relationships. Though adopting me had probably been a result of this weakness.

"I'm glad you found Robert. And he is wonderful. But I am so complete with you both and Arthur. I could never need anyone else in my life." Her face was frozen in the dismayed expression I loathed. A small lie at this point seemed forgivable if she would only stop looking at me like that.

I moved to kiss her cheek. "I will think about what you've said, though."

Instantly, her expression lightened. "Love you," Maria whispered. Our goodbyes were brief. Robert had come up with the luggage and was ready to board.

I was left alone with Garrett and a massive knot in my stomach. We boarded our train at half past three. According to Garrett, our trip would take us "a few hours" as it wasn't a direct connection. Harper Manor was apparently just outside of the Lake District and near the ocean.

I was convinced we were being followed. Whether or not it was just my mind playing tricks on me was an unknown. A man in a tan coat, his hat pulled low, seemed to show up too often. He was there when we checked in, and later I caught a glimpse of him as we were boarding. Then, there was the tall woman in the red coat. I noticed her as we were exiting the taxi and again in the crowd a few times while in the station. Determined not to let my mind get the better of me, I convinced myself that the odds of these faceless people having multiple trackers on us was very low. Therefore, these observations must be of no importance.

After stowing my luggage, I found my seat and proceeded to kick off my shoes and settle in for the trip. Garrett was undoubtedly taking his role as my travel companion seriously. After making a final sweep of the cabin he sat down next to me and patted my arm.

"You're doing the right thing. You know that right? We are going to get this sorted out no problem. The key is to keep your wits about you and be ready at any time." He shifted to get comfortable in his seat, his broad shoulders bumping into mine.

"Yeah." I tucked my purse under my feet to elevate them from the scuffed floor. I tried to force my nerves to calm. We would be safe now; the individuals I had seen earlier were simply other travelers. Best to enjoy the peace while we could.

"What are you doing? Where are your shoes?" He looked over at me as if I was completely dull and had just missed all he had said. "Why do you buy these ridiculous brands if you don't intend to wear them more than ten seconds at a time?"

"I'm not ridiculous. They're BCBG. I take them off because they are slaughtering my feet, but Maria is a dear and bought them for me so I wear them." He rolled his eyes, but I grinned. "Anything else detective? I was hoping to catch up on some sleep."

I truly appreciated that I could be completely myself with him. I knew Maria thought we were a bit cruel to each other at times, but it was simply how we communicated. There was nothing quite like having a friend I could push a little without having to worry about permanent damage. We understood each other well enough.

"No! We need to work out a strategy. What is our angle when we come to talk to the realtor or the manor's caretaker?"

"What?" I wrinkled my nose and stretched out a little further in an attempt to get comfortable. "I don't know, Gar. Can't you figure this out? After all, you practically forced me to come, so I had hoped you had at least thought of a plan. I'm sorry, but I didn't sleep well last night."

I didn't mention the nightmares that had stolen my sleep. Instead, I turned and leaned against the window looking out at the station bustling with travelers. I felt guilty not humoring him, but I couldn't focus with my mind wandering to more pressing matters. Was one of these people really out to kill me or did they just have some questions they thought I could answer? I noticed the man in the hat again, but I couldn't make out his face. I tried to think rationally. It seemed a bit extreme to assume my attacker the other night had wanted me dead as Kael had suggested. I shuddered at the thought. Was Kael out there boarding this or another train to follow us? He had seemed intent on protecting us even though he obviously thought us naive for pursuing this further. I would love to do what he had asked and go home, but Garrett's words haunted me. I did not wish to live with the constant fear of someone lurking in the shadows, watching my every step.

*****Do you think Harper is doing the right thing or should she have listened to Kael and gone home? If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and leave a comment! :) *****