Chapter 14: Handover

Nitin examined the metal crate in Shelly's arms.

She placed it down onto the floor of the bridge.

"Easy does it," he warned, having no idea what was inside.

The crate was sealed shut and painted over with a yellow bio-hazard symbol. Whatever was inside, Nitin decided it should stay there.

He recalled his officer's training, from years back, about the various terrorist plots that The Enemy had concocted to weaken Earth's resolve. A bio-agent was one of the fastest ways to clear a ship of its crew.

"I found it under the pilot's chair," confirmed Shelly.

Nitin tapped his glass pad, resuming the communication with the attacking ship.

"We have the case," he confirmed.

"Send it over," ordered the voice.

Nitin tapped off the comms, and turned to Shelly. "Load it in a probe and get it off my ship."

"Captain," she said. Nitin knew she was about to protest. "He fired on a Galactic Navy vessel, and we have no idea what's inside here; it could be a weapon?"

"And it probably is, which is why I want if off my boat."

"Captain," she protested.

"You have your order, Lieutenant."

Shelly hoisted the crate off the bridge and disappeared, leaving Nitin alone with just the view-screen for company. The ship stalked the Ghandi, hovering aggressively just off the port bow. It was heavily armoured, like a space-faring armadillo – an animal Nitin remembered from story books.

On the screen, an orange cylinder glided from the Ghandi towards the armadillo. It moved slowly; clearly not a missile.

"There it is," said Shelly, returning to the bridge.

A circular portal hole open in the hull of the ship and it sucked the probe in.

"And good riddance," said Nitin.

They both stared at the screen, waiting for the ship to peel off and leave them alone. Nitin reopened comms, and said, "you've got it. Now leave us be."

The aft door to the bridge swung open and the Eyptian slave boy ran onto Nitin's bridge.

"What are you doing!?" he shouted.

"Trying to find you, Captain," the boy panted, heaving for breath. "Don't send the cargo over."

"Too late kid," said Nitin. "It's already gone."

"Why?" asked Shelly. "What's inside?"

"I don't know, miss," said Rys. "But Judson said that--"

"Never trust a traitor," scoffed Nitin. "And unless you're here to clean, get off my bridge."

On the screen, Nitin noticed the ship backing off. But instead of blasting away, it aimed its laser cannon at the Ghandi.

"Prepare for im—" yelled Nitin, as the first blast hit his ship.

He was thrown from the chair and slammed into the main display, cracking the glass. He counted three more blasts as the lights flickered and failed.

The emergency lights switched on and Nitin noticed the slave kid slumped over an empty navigation station. Shelly was on the floor, covered in blood.

The computer's automated voice rang out: Life support systems damaged. Oxygen production at five percent.

Another blast shook the Ghandi.

Nitin didn't know what was going to kill them first; the laser or the lack of oxygen. But either way, everyone on board was about to die.