Ch. 1 ~Home

~Emma's POV~

"Emma?" The faintest whisper came from my doorway.

"Yeah?"

"Are you ready?" It was my mother's voice.

"I think." I replied turning around.

"Let's go. We must hurry." She said.

I picked up my suitcase as she carried my backpack. When we got down the stairs I looked at the coffee machine to see the time. 8:47 p.m. Our flight was at 9:45. My mother put my stuff in the trunk as I settled in the front seat.

"CeCe said she is outside her house. She said bye to her mom and dad, her mother said good luck." I spoke, reading from the text on my phone.

"Tell her we will be there in about 2 minutes." My mom said, while starting up the car.

I texted CeCe telling her we would be there, and soon enough we were outside her house. She put her backpack and suitcase in the trunk, getting in the back.

"We will be there in about 7 minutes." My mother said.

A silence soon enveloped the car and eventually we reached the airport. CeCe and I got our bags out of the car and my mother walked up to us.

"Listen to me, Emma. I want you to have fun there. Ok? Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about me. Promise me you will enjoy yourself." My mom said, looking me in the eyes.

I nodded my head. My mom opened her arms. CeCe and I both hugged her at the same time and she kissed our foreheads.

"Now go on. And remember when you board show them your passports and these documents showing you may fly without an adult." She said, handing us the items.

"Thanks Mom."

"Thank you Mrs. Burcham." CeCe said.

Then, we began walking towards the boarding area. Once I looked back, my mother was gone. CeCe and I arrived at the small counter with a tired looking woman. We handed her our passports, boarding passes, and notarised documents signed by our parents. We soon got them back, and headed towards the luggage belt, putting our suitcases on it. We then walked towards the terminal, on our way to Australia. We took our seats on the not-so-crowded plane and left our carry-ons on our laps.

"So, we're actually doing it," CeCe said, while smiling.

"Yeah, I guess we are," I smiled back.

"Thank god we are leaving! All the extra studying to finish junior year a semester early was worth it."

"Totally. But, you know we have to get a job here right?" I asked.

"Yeah. I know," she sighed.

"So what did you all pack?" I asked her.

"Ugh, all my sweats, long sleeves, sweatshirts, jackets, my boots-"

"Wait, did you pack stuff for winter?" I asked, about to explode of laughter.

"Yeah, it's winter. Duh!" She said, like I was stupid.

"You know, right now it's summer in Australia." I laughed, the Irish twinge in my voice poking through.

"What?!?" she yelled, getting the evil eye from a flight attendant and other passengers.

"Yeah." I quietly laughed.

"This is why you got an A+ in geography, and I got a C-." She told me.

"So, what are you gonna do first when we get there?" I smirked.