Ch. 6 ~Making It My Own

~Emma's POV~

"Calum, can you grab some paint brushes from the bag," I commanded.

Michael and I opened the can of paint, dumping portions of it into a plastic container you dipped paintbrushes in. Calum brought back a normal paintbrush and two paintbrushes that roll. Yeah, I forget what they're called.

"Let me go find some shirts we can wear," I said.

"Ok, we're gonna move the furniture," Michael said.

I decided I would wash my sheets and bedspread, so I took them down with me. I nodded my head and ran down the stairs. I heard shuffling around in the kitchen.

"Grandma?" I called.

"Emma! How are you?" She asked.

I walked into the kitchen and saw her making lunch, it was 1:27.

"Fine. But, do you have any old shirts we can use for painting?"

"We?" She smirked.

"Calm down. It's me, CeCe and the boys," I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, they're in the basement," she said.

I ran down into the basement where the laundry room was located. I put the sheets and comforters in the washer. There was hamper with old t-shirts laying next to the dryer. I grabbed six shirts and ran back up stairs, thanking my grandmother on the way up.

"Got some shirts!" I yelled.

"Thank you!" CeCe called.

I set three shirts on her bed while they were pouring paint into plastic holders. I walked back into my room to see Calum and Michael with paint in their hair and on their t-shirts.

"Dumbasses," I laughed.

We all put on one of the shirts and I tucked the back of mine into my jean shorts it was so big.

"Emma paint by the doorway with that brush," Michael told me. "And Calum and I will use the other's."

We all began painting the walls the mint green colour. After about 30 minutes and two coats, a foot around the entire doorway was stained with the green colour. Calum and Michael finished one wall, only three more to go.

"Emma, put some of that blue tape over the baseboard. Then, paint about a foot up from it," Michael commanded.

I nodded my head and grabbed the tape, taping over the top of the entire baseboard. I then grabbed one of the plastic containers with the paint and began painting across the wall where Michael told me to paint. About an hour later, I was done with painting and they had one wall left.

"I'm going to see if everything's done in the dryer," I said.

I went down the stairs and into the kitchen to see my grandmother watching TV.

"Thanks for putting those in the dryer," I said.

"No problem. They're done," she said.

"Ok," I said, heading down the stairs into the basement.

I grabbed the warm sheets and folded them, setting them in a basket. I took out the large comforter and folded it, laying it on top of the sheets. I carried the basket back up the stairs and into my bedroom.

"You boys almost done?" I asked.

"Almost," they replied, painting the other half of the last wall.

I took off the other sheets and white comforter, folding them and putting them in the closet. I stretched the light blue, fitted sheet over the mattress. Then, I draped the loose sheet over the mattress, making sure there was no wrinkles. Then, I set the bedspread across it, also putting the light blue pillowcases on two pillows and the gradient designed pillowcases on the other two pillows. Finally, I unrolled the plush, navy blue rug. I placed it in the middle of my room, accenting well with all the other colours.

"You boys almost done?" I asked.

"And done," Calum cheered, finishing the final spot.

"How long until it all dries?" I asked.

"'Bout an hour. Just depends," Michael shrugged.

"Let's go see CeCe's room," I said, walking through the white French doors.

Her walls were hot pink and bedspread was black and white zebra stripes. Her hot pink sheets stood out against the bedspread, and her black accent rug blended well with the rest of the room. The white furniture finished the look off.

"Looks nice guys!" I smiled.

"Yeah?" CeCe asked.

"Definitely," I decided.

"We're gonna go paint the other room. Wanna help?" I asked the others.

They all followed me into the other room, where Michael and Calum were already pouring the crème coloured paint into the plastic containers.

"This will take probably about 2 hours to paint, but then we'll be done," Michael spoke.

We all nodded our heads grabbing paintbrushes and staining the walls the colour I picked. Two of us each picked a wall we would paint.

And hour and a half later, the room was done. Well, done being painted. We still needed CeCe's Cajun drum, my guitar, the video camera, and other décor.

"There is a few things I want to do in my room still. You guys go ahead and leave, I'm sure you're tired," I said, walking towards my room.

"We'll help ya out!" Calum cheered.

"If ya want," I shrugged.

We all broke into the groups from earlier and headed into the separate bedrooms.

"So, what exactly are we doing?" Michael asked.

"Just some lyrics on the wall. Simple stuff," I said, grabbing the stencils, spray paint, and paint pens.

"On this wall, I'll put 'Smiling but we're close to tears'. On that one I want 'But I'm sitting with you and I'm glowing.' On this one I want 'Neither one of us wanna take that taxi home'. And on that wall I want 'Would you stand in disgrace or take a bow?'" I said, pointing to the different walls.

"Ok," they answered.

I grabbed the navy paint pen and the desk chair, pushing it against the tall dresser with the TV. On the space of wall I had, in cursive, I wrote 'Smiling but we're close to'. I then grabbed the light blue paint pen and drew five tears, filling them in. I looked over to see Michael working on one wall, making it fit the entire wall. Calum, who used the wall with the smaller dresser, writing 'Would you stand in disgrace or take a bow?' with black paint pen.

I decided to start on the other wall while the other dried. I took some stencils and white spray paint. I then put on the wall 'Neither one of us wanna take that' ,left a space for my drawing, 'home.' I then took the yellow, black, and white paint pens and drew a taxi on the wall. I decided to write 'taxi' like a tire mark from the taxi on a road.

I took the white paint pen back over to my first wall, writing each letter in tears on an individual teardrop. I looked around at all the walls to see that Calum was done and Michael was nearly done.

The painting Calum did was in his own handwriting. In print it said 'Would you', 'or' and in cursive it said 'stand in disgrace', 'take a bow?'. It honestly looked beautiful.

"Done!" Michael cheered.

I looked at his wall to see that in white, spray-painted stencils it said, 'But I'm sitting with you and I'm' and in Michael's own cursive, he wrote 'Glowing.' in a black paint pen.

"Thanks guys. It's honestly beautiful," I spoke.

"It does look pretty nice, honestly," Michael agreed.

"It's sick," Calum stated.

I laughed, "Way to ruin the moment."

"It's what I do," he smiled.

"Dinner time!" My grandmother called.

Hmm, it was 6:17.

"Coming!"