Chapter 4 - Remotely Plausible

Seventh period, unlike the other classes, went by too slow for Scully. Half of her was counting the minutes until she got to walk with her new and only friend, the other half of her was... well, nervous, almost. She had battled anxiety her whole life, and she wasn't near a panic attack, but her thoughts hadn't ever moved this fast before. All of them were crazy what-ifs about her walking home with Mulder.
What if he's doing this since he feels bad for me?
What if I fuck up and he makes me walk alone?
What if he tries to make a move on me?
What if?
She's never been one to have such normal teenage girl thoughts, but it seems as if every worst case scenario that could ever happen passes through her head. She hasn't even paid much attention in this class, either, which she's not too upset about since the teacher's only gone over world history she's already learned.

The bell finally rings and causes Scully to jump a little, she was so out in space she forgot she was in class for a moment. She grabs her backpack and walks with the flood of eager kids trying to get home to meet Mulder in the courtyard. When she finally gets there, after stopping a few times to figure out where she was, Mulder lights up and walks over to her.

"It's been less than hour since I've seen you, Mulder. Don't look so eager." She jabs at him with a smile. He smiles back and looks down at the ground.
"After about ten minutes I thought... I dunno, that you left. I was hoping you didn't."
Scully smiles at his comment and they walk together out of the school and onto the sidewalk leading to Thames St.

".... And after about ten minutes, that's when I realized I wasn't actually in the right class, right around the time I stood up and gave a speech about civil rights.... in science class. Turns out I wasn't even in the right building!" Mulder says, throwing his hands up for an added effect. Scully throws her head back and laughs over his long but worthwhile story about how his first day of semester two was worse than hers.
"The Lone Gunmen knew an awful lot about me, for a group of people I hadn't ever met." Scully says after a moment of silence, looking at Mulder with a small smirk.
"They weren't that bad, were they? They didn't go full nerd on you."
"I mean, come on, our government has the ability to time travel? They said quite a few things that aren't even remotely plausible, Mulder! Not to mention their attempts at whispering to you about how enigmatically hot I am." Scully says with a sigh over Mulder's laugh at her skepticism.
"I don't know, Scully," Mulder says as they're about to walk their separate ways home, "I think it's remotely plausible that someone thinks you're hot."

Scully looks at him with a small smile and an eye roll, saying goodbye to him as they walk away. After she's far enough away from his view she lets herself smile over his stupid comment. He just said it like it wasn't a big deal, like everyone agreed, like he didn't just call Scully hot.