Chapter One

Anakin made his way down an alley deep below the gleaming surface of Coruscant. His Padawan braid was tucked inside his tunic, his lightsaber hidden in the folds of his cloak. The Jedi were treated with great respect everywhere on Coruscant – except here. Close to the planet's surface, there were those who matched their contempt for good society with their need to hide from it. Everyone was equal here. Equally despised. Even air taxis didn't descend this far. It had taken him over an hour to walk down the descending ramps, since the lift tubes were often nonfunctional. If only he had an airspeeder! Then these raids could be done in half the time. But Jedi students didn't have access to their own speeders. Not even Padawans. Technically, he wasn't supposed to be outside the Temple at all, not without Obi-Wan's permission. "Technically" is just another way of saying you are breaking the rules, Obi-Wan would say. Either you obey a rule, or you do not. He was devoted to his Master, yet sometimes Obi-Wan's earnestness could really get in the way. Anakin didn't believe in breaking the Jedi rules. He just wanted to find the spaces between them. Anakin was well aware that his Master knew of these midnight jaunts. Obi-Wan was amazingly perceptive. He could sense a shift in emotion or thought faster than an eyeblink. Thank the moon and stars that Obi-Wan also preferred not to hear about his midnight trips. As long as Anakin was discreet and didn't get into trouble, Obi-Wan would turn a blind eye. Anakin didn't want to trouble Obi-Wan, but he couldn't help himself. As the night wore on and the Temple quieted, as the Jedi students turned off their glow rods and settled down for night meditation and sleep, Anakin just got restless. The lure of the streets called him. There were projects he had to complete, droids he was building or refining, parts to scavenge, rusty treasures to uncover. But mostly he just needed to be outside, under the stars. Only those of us who have been slaves can really taste freedom, he sometimes thought. His favorite scavenger heap was down here, in the dark underbelly of the city. The glow lights were seldom repaired and the glittering lights of the city above didn't penetrate down this far. This was where the junk dealers dumped their unwanted heaps – the stuff even they couldn't sell. It was left in smoking, stinking gray piles for the lowest of the low to pick over. Fights often erupted at these scavenger heaps. Anakin had been lucky to avoid the squabbles that could end in violence. In addition to the desperate, there were bands of Manikons, a tribe from a planet lost long ago to a civil war so devastating it had caused the small band of survivors to flee to Coruscant. Now the Manikons survived by their wits and their weapons. They were perfectly willing to fight to the death over a rusty hydrospanner. Anakin slipped among the smoky piles. Normally he avoided this particular junkyard, but he had a difficult tech problem with a malfunctioning droid, and he had exhausted all his other venues for finding what he needed. He knew that his Master looked at his tinkering with droids and tech devices as a waste of time. Maybe it was. Anakin didn't care. He had come to realize that he needed to occupy his mind in order to stop the voices in his head. The voices that doubted he'd ever be a great Jedi Knight. The voices that told him he'd abandoned his mother.... Anakin shook his head. Working on the droids was the one slender thread that connected him to his childhood on Tatooine. It was a frayed thread he was not willing to snap off completely. The smell came to his nostrils, a mixture of smoky metal and something unpleasantly organic, the residue of food or waste. He tuned it out as his gaze eagerly swept the rubble. He was grateful for his Jedi training. His eyes were sharp, even in the shadows. He did not want to risk a glow rod. It was dangerous to advertise your presence here. Better to act as a shadow. He kept his eyes trained on the ground as he walked. Sometimes parts dropped off the giant hydrolifts that were used to transport the junk. He had uncovered some great finds by kicking through the dirt and debris beneath his boots. Ah – a circuit, almost completely intact. Anakin rubbed it against the tunic, not caring about the crusty dirt that left a dark stain. He tucked it in his belt. And here – part of a hydrospanner. He could always use that, just in case he broke the ones he had. Cheaper to fuse an old one than to look for an intact one. He scanned the heap ahead of him. One of his goals was to assemble his own small power terminal in his room so that he would not have to hook up to the droids. The more he stayed out of sight with his hobby, the better. There – he could see it on top of the heap. Could it be a motivator circuit board? Yes – if he could just manage to Force-jump up there without sending the assembled heap of junk tumbling. He scanned the side of the heap for a good landing site. A battered piece of durasteel seemed to rest solidly on the junk beneath it. If he landed softly, he should be able to balance on it long enough to swipe the piece. He was a Jedi, and his balance was perfect. Anakin jumped. He landed a bit harder than he had meant to, and with a little too much pressure on his right foot. You're not a Jedi yet. He heard Obi-Wan's gentle, admonishing tone in his ear even as he scrambled to avoid sending a small avalanche of parts back down the pile along with him. Willing his muscles to stay flexible and his mind focused, he balanced carefully on the durasteel and eased out one hand... only to see another hand appear from the other side of the heap, reaching for the same part. No doubt it was a Manikon. He wasn't about to let one Manikon come between him and a new motivator. Anakin threw himself forward, but he miscalculated how stable his footing was. Part of the heap began to slide, taking him along with it. He felt something or someone grab his ankle. He crashed backwards, at the same time reaching out to grab at the creature holding him. He felt some fabric in his fingers and held on. Together, the two of them banged and slid down the heap. Anakin smashed against sharp objects and bumped against durasteel and chunks of ferrocrete, still furiously hanging on to the scrap of fabric while his ankle was held securely in the creature's grasp. At last they hit bottom. Anakin wrenched his foot away and sprang to his feet, ready for battle. The other creature did the same. The hood of the creature fell back, and Anakin found himself face-to-face with a fellow Jedi student, Tru Veld. "What are you doing here?" Anakin hissed angrily. "That was my part," Tru answered. "I had my hand right on it."
"I was reaching for it –"
"And thanks to you, it's lost now." Suddenly Anakin spotted the part on the ground between them. It must have slid down along with them. He pounced on it. "It's not lost now!" he cried, grinning. "Give that to me, Anakin," Tru said, his slanted silver eyes gleaming. Tru was a humanoid species, a native of the planet Teevan. His skin had a silvery cast, and he was tall and lanky. Teevans were exceptionally flexible and could bend in surprising ways. Anakin suddenly remembered that this quality had made Tru very good at fighting. "I'm not afraid of you," Anakin said. "Of course you're not," Tru said in a disgusted tone. "I'm not going to fight you for it. I'm waiting for you to do the right thing." Anakin frowned. There were times he forgot he was a Jedi. For a moment, he had been the slave boy on Tatooine, still bound by the rules of play on that harsh world. Those who find, keep. Those who hesitate, lose. He wasn't a slave boy. He was a Jedi. "I have a Protocol Droid with a bad motivator," Anakin said. "I really need this." But Tru wasn't listening. He was squinting into the darkness. "Now we're in for it," he said in a low tone. He signaled to Anakin. A short distance away, Anakin saw a clump of moving shapes. Manikons. "If we're very quiet," Anakin murmured, "they won't spot us." He took a step back, and his foot kicked a piece of durasteel scrap. It landed against another piece of junk with a loud clang. "Is that what you call quiet?" Tru hissed. The Manikons turned. They saw the Jedi. "Maybe if we don't move, they won't come at us," Anakin breathed. The Manikons surged forward. "Interesting notion," Tru said. "Got any other ideas?"