2.

My palms begin to moisten as I sit next to my mom on the sofa. I feel the tension in the air tighten as she points the remote at the cable box before pressing down the play button.

I'm so incredibly nervous and my stomach churns as the newscast begins. It starts out with an intriguing jingle as the title and channel number flash across the screen.

A female redhead news reporter is shown on screen standing just outside of bundles of trees that were all to familiar. She says, "There were reports of an anonymous attack last night just after dawn. Reports show that it was allegedly recognized as a wolf. Wolves are common out here but attacks are rare. Experts suggest bears to be culprits also. Victim, 17 year old Carren Holkin, unfortunately did not make it."

As she said this last part, an image of Carren was shown to all viewers. I scanned her once smiling face and feel my hands tremble. Photos of her blood and other visuals of the scene were portrayed over the screen right after.

The broadcast ends with the reporter appearing on camera again as she pronounces her closing statement. "Its unfortunate yes, but you heard it here first at CWI News."

The television goes dark and I feel mom looking at me. I'm just stuck staring at the screen. I just can't bring myself to look away.

"Are you alright?" She asks suddenly.

Snapping out of my guilt stricken thoughts, I reply with, "Oh...uh...yeah. It's just that it's hard seeing someone you know die. Not like up close ya' know? But I mean like witnessing it. Not like I'm a witness but I mean like living through it." I stumble over my words trying but failing at an attempt to avoid all obvious hints that it had been me.

I was so nervous but couldn't do anything but look at my mother as she smothered me with that confused yet concerned look.

"Yeah...well Im gonna get ready for practice now." That was the only logical excuse I could come up with. It wasn't a lie either, football practice was Saturdays as well as weekdays.

"Sure. I'm gonna leave for work also. I won't be back till late so I expect you to come straight home okay?"

"Uh yeah. Course." I mutter as I practically run up the stairs.

I was planning on being home fast anyways. I wanted to be sure I'd be in the basement before 12:00. A mistake like that would never happen again as long as I could help it.

While upstairs, I threw off my lounge clothes and replaced them with my loose practice clothing. Today was only a weight lifting day, we wouldn't be running drills so I didn't bother to take my pads with me.

Strapping on my shoes, all I thought as I left the the house was 'Get home fast. Get home fast.'

As many times as I said this to myself though, in the back of my mind I just knew something would hold me up. Something always did. No matter what it might be, something always finds a way to hold me back, slow me down, or distract me from getting somewhere or doing something.

I wouldn't let that happen anymore though. I'd try anyways.