Chapter One

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, only the plot. For all chapters.

----------------------------------------------

I ducked around the corner of an alley as he came barreling after me. Mom was going to be ticked off, this was the third guy this month I showed my wings too. It's not like I meant to do it, I was just swimming.

"Max!" I heard Chris cry out into the darkness not too far away. "You have a lot of explaining to do! How could you not tell me you were one of them!" He spit out the last word with such hatred, it made me want to punch him in the face. I crept back deeper into the shadows, being careful not too make any noise, until I found a clearing with no people around. I snapped out my wings and took a running start and a jump. Then I was airborne, free.

I shot up into the sky and turned toward home, only knowing because of my expert navigation skills. That's one of the many powers I received when the scientists created me. Yea, created me. From a test tube or something. I guess that I could have been born human, but they messed with my DNA when I was very young. The scientists injected me and hundreds of other kids around the country with avian DNA. It only made us only 2% bird and 98% human, but that 2% made a difference. It gave us all massive wings and special abilities, no two of us are the same.

As I soar over the lower part of Seattle, I felt a pinch of guilt for not telling Chris about my bird kidness. We were not looked at kindly here in the U.S., and the government even tried to have us all killed, since apparently we are all a danger to the general population. The only people who saved us were our parents, and the Constitution signers. Even with this though, the general population looked down upon us and were most times afraid of us. That's why the government created special facilities and neighborhoods for families with bird kids. No one went to them though, why should we have to move just because your government injected us with DNA?

I spotted my house from a half a mile away and started to slow down for the landing. I was flying super sonic today, which I one of my abilities, and didn't feel like crashing into the roof. I landed softly on the roof and climbed down the ladder my mom made me. Silently, I pulled open the sliding glass door and sneaked into the house hoping my mom wouldn't see me. I wasn't that lucky.

"Chris's mom called." My mom said sitting on the couch and sipping coffee. "She had some colorful words to express your little secret." She glared at me and I winced. This wouldn't be good, I already had this talk to her twice before.

"I am so sorry, Mom. Let me explain. I was just---" I started. She held up one finger to her mouth, my cue to be quiet.

"Sorry doesn't cut it. Brain and Gary were at least going to keep your secret, Chris is not. You are not safe anymore." I sank back against the glass door and slid down to the floor. This couldn't be happening. I loved my friends, I would lose them for sure if they found out.

"Do I have to switch schools again, and my appearance?" I had already down this once, but that was because a guy was stalking me, telling me he was created for me, not anything to do with my wings. My mom looked up from her coffee and looked directly into my eyes.

"You do have to switch schools, but not your appearance." I was puzzled. We didn't want anyone seeing my picture on the National Bird People Watch list and hating me for it. Or worse.

"What do you mean?"

"I've been researching since the first incident and found a school for children like you." My eyes widened, I didn't know that those type of schools existed. It sounded too good to be true. "The school is Wings Prep and it's in Virginia." My heart stopped for a second. Virginia. That was on the other side of the country, which meant even if some of my friends didn't loathe me, I couldn't see them at all.

"So, this is a boarding school, but I would be looked at as completely normal there?" She shook her head yes and I was sold. I wanted to be accepted. I wanted to fit in. I wanted to go to Wings Prep.