Prologue

January 8,  2015

I spent the night at Járaì's house last night. I get up and run downstairs with a smile on my face but Alfred nods his head at the TV where the news are going on.

"Last night at 11:34 pma 41 year old woman named Mary Rouge--" my breath hitches as I realize that's my mother.

"--has been murderedThe murderer has made a strange symbol  on her arm--" they show pictures of her arm where,  to me,  words were carved in her wrist.  It says, 'happy birthday,  Death'.  But why can I only-- wait,  MURDERED?!  'happy birthday'? Last night? 

As everything hits me all at once,  I plop down on the couch while Járaì comes over and rubs my back causing tears to overwhelm my eyes.

Voices by Crown the Empire goes off in my pocket.  Someone's calling me I pick it up and answer.

-sniffle- "hello? "
"Hello,  is this Merideath Rouge? "
"It is. "
"This is Stacy from the Baton Rouge Police Department.  We're going to need you to come down for questioning. "
"Yes,  ma'am.  I'm on my way."
"Thank you for your cooperation."
"You're welcome..." I say quietly as I hang up.
"Hey,  Alfred?  Can you drive me to the Police Department,  please? "
"Of course. "
"OK,  well,  I'm gonna go get dressed."
"Okay,  that goes for everyone."
"Alright!" Kaylib, Járaì's brother,  and Járaì shouted in unison.