01 | Black Sprinkle of Cinnamon

"You're late, Miss Addison," Charlie sings as he provides me with clearance to the building after Keegan drops me off at work.

All I can manage Charlie's way is a dirty glance since I'm holding a half-eaten cream cheese bagel between my teeth, a burnt cup of coffee in one hand and my coat and portfolio case in the other. I rush toward the elevators and I feel my eyes straining against their sockets in a gaping look of panic when I realize that the doors to the last available elevator are closing shut. I spit my bagel out onto the glistening, marbled floor and shout for the man inside to hold it for me.

"No," he replies nonchalantly without the slightest hint of remorse. He wraps his hand around his wrist in front of him showcasing his dark, polished watch – a true executive douchebag stance.

"Asshole!" I bellow just before the doors close in my face. I can feel other people staring, but all I notice is my pathetic reflection in the pristine doors of the elevator after they've closed.

I lift my bagel off of the floor and toss it into the trash and furiously begin pressing the button on another set of elevators until one finally pinges and opens up.

"Good morning, Ms. Kepner."

"Hi, hello, Mr. Warfield," I step into the elevator as he steps out.

"Running late?"

"I'm afraid I am. Are you leaving?" I ask my former boss. My eyes momentarily land on the cigar tugged into the small pocket of his suit.

"Yes. I'm afraid the day has come. I'm sneaking out of here, Addison. Please refrain from telling anyone. The last thing I need is any pity about the fact that I'm being forced to withdraw from my position." He peers around for a moment, dark eyes seemingly paranoid, as if someone might be listening before he seems to gather himself.

"I'm confident about my grandson's ability to take care of things from here on out, but I will not stand by him and pretend to be content about the fact that he's taking over my legacy," he expresses somberly as he holds the elevator open with the morning newspaper tucked beneath his other arm.

I frown and I can't help but step forward and wrap my arms around him. He'd been an exceptional boss but more than anything, he'd always been incredibly kind despite the fact that he practically spewed money out of his ears. I'd been his shadow at work for the last four years after having worked my way up from clerical and I was going to miss him dearly.

"Good luck, Mr. Warfield. It was a pleasure working for you," I utter over his shoulder before stepping back into the elevator.

"With me, Addison. You worked with me, dear," he corrects which kindles a smile on my face.

"You let me know if you ever need a letter of recommendation or assistance of any sort; just anything, anything at all. I'll be happy to oblige. You are an exceptional young lady."

I nod modestly as he looks at me as if attempting to ingrain the image of my face into his brain.

"Oh, one more thing, Addison," he says before relinquishing his hold on the elevator door. "Go easy on my grandson. He will feel the need to prove himself but I assure you he's not as bad as he seems."

"Of course, Mr. Warfield."

He smiles reassuringly and salutes me goodbye. For the first time since I've known him, he walks away with a slump on his stout shoulders.

I lower my gaze only to see that I have stained my blouse with cream cheese and I sigh throwing my head back against the metal wall of the elevator after pressing the button to my floor. As always, it takes an eternity to arrive to work since the building itself is just over sixty stories high, the mecca of corporate buildings in Vancouver.