CHAPTER TWELVE

Helen raised her fingers to her temples as she got out of Helena's car. Ever since they had left the house earlier, she had been struggling with a headache that started at the front of her forehead and worked its way to the base of her neck. She had spent most of the movie with her eyes closed, just wishing it would end and so she could go home and deal with it.

"What's wrong, Mom?" Ellie asked. "Was the movie too loud for you? I thought that part when they blew up the whole werewolf factory was awesome!"

"Are you getting one of your rain headaches again?" Helena asked. "I've got some magnesium powder in my office that will help take care of that."

"No, I don't think that's it," Helen said quietly.

"I'll try to keep it quiet and do a little reading in my room before I go to bed," Ellie said, running towards the door. "I'm reading Jane Eyre. It's on my curriculum Mom, and it's pretty titillating given its era. So don't get mad at me. I have to read it."

"Wait!" Helen cried, suddenly running after her, stopping her from entering the house.

Ellie gasped. "Seriously Mom, you can phone the school if you don't believe me. The Brontes. English Lit is all over them."

"No," Helen protested. "The house... let me go first."

"Mom?"

Helen reached towards the doorknob and gave it a turn. It was still locked. She heaved a sigh of relief.

"I will get keys cut for you girls next week," Helena sighed. "If you can wait until then." She took her keys from her purse, opened the door and turned on the hallway light. "See Helen, no bogeyman. It's safe to go in."

"I don't know what came over me," Helen said, cautiously crossing the threshold. "I'll be glad when you take those Halloween decorations down and start planning for Christmas. The stores will be doing it by Monday."

"I guess we'll put that on Sunday's agenda," Helena replied. "We can move the swing down to the other end of the porch so you don't get a reminder of Mr. Wagner every time you come up the steps."

"That might help," Helen agreed.

"Night Nan," Ellie said, giving Helena a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks for the movie. You were right. It was a big help, I feel better now."

"Never underestimate the power of popcorn therapy," Helena replied as she watched her granddaughter head upstairs. She hung her coat up in the hallway closet then turned and looked at Helen.

"Don't say it," Helen pleaded.

"I don't have to say it. Ellie already said it. Something about me being right about the movie. But she's gone upstairs now, so do you want to tell me what was going on with you and the front door?"

"I was just checking that it was still locked. I've noticed you don't normally do that yourself."

"Maybe I want someone to come over," she shrugged.

"I don't think I want to go there," Helen replied.

"I'll keep it locked just for you, if it makes you feel better," she said, putting her arm around her daughter. "But I think you'll find that nobody locks their doors in Troy. Except maybe the Lachey's. Betty, as you have seen, is a bit nervous. And poor Stan..."

Helen abruptly pulled herself away from her mother. Her body began to rock back and forth uncontrollably.

Helena studied her daughter. "What's going on, Helen? Are you okay?" She could hear her daughters breathing becoming irregular. "Is it a full-blown migraine? I'll get you some tomato juice to go with the magnesium. That ought to help."