Ending #2

Explaining time! So, remember I had some of you vote for #1 or #2? Yeah?

Here's the second, slightly happier ending! Woo hoo!

(I want to say this doesn't count as part of the original storyline. I much preferred the first ending :D . But whatever you guys want to believe.)

"Of course not, they all died for a very good cause. They all died for the New World!" Light shouted back in response, ignoring the small prick in his heart at the mention of his late lover.

"They were all murdered in cold blood! By YOU!" Matsuda shrieked, and following his statement, three more gunshots could be heard.

The gunshots knocked Light down onto the ground, temporarily immobilizing him. Matsuda ran up to him, gun aimed for the spot in-between Light's eyes.

Bang!

~ ~ ~

"You're right. Actually, I'm depressed." L. What?

I opened my eyes. I was Misa's room with L sitting next to me. It was the date I had with Misa six years ago. The one where I punched L... and we ended up fighting.

It must be a memory. Like when they say your life flashes before your eyes when you die. Yeah... It's gotta be.

I waited for what came next. I waited for the fighting that had followed the remark, but it never came.

Instead, "What? No classic retort? What's the matter Light? That's unlike you."

I looked over at him as if he were crazy. This never happened... "Um, nothing's wrong. I'm okay L..."

"Ryuzaki," He corrected, and it was when he nodded in response and Misa started ranting about whatever she was on about this time, I realized something. And for some reason, it broke my heart. I realized that...

That it wasn't a memory. It was reality.  Ryuzaki was still alive. I'm still Kira. Ryuzaki is L. Kira and L are enemies.  L is going to die because of Kira. And we're not lovers...

It was a dream. False reality. I had created a sense of love in my mind, killed it, and then tried to revive it. I tried to revive a love that never existed...

But maybe, just maybe, now it can exist.