10 - Icecream and Heartaches

"We can eat ice cream if you want?" Nicki suggested over the phone as I entered my home.

Just like Luke said, he wasn't there. All his stuff was gone, from his clothes to his toothbrush. Everything.

I felt my throat tighten at the sight and resisted the urge to drop to the ground and cry. Even if he possibly was cheating on me, being left without a proper good-bye still hurt.

"S-sure," I managed to get out as I plopped down on the couch.

"Jess, I really am sorry. I regret getting in between you and Luke--"

"It's my fault. I continued it anyway. I deserve to be like this."

"But I'm sure he was cheating on you first! Being out late, being late in the studio, never coming home until morning? It's his lost, not yours!"

"I guess..." But I still wasn't convinced.

"How about I give you some space? You obviously need to think about it--"

"No! I don't want to be alone. Please," I added.

"Are you sure? Well, what time are you coming over?"

I looked down at Jackson, who was at my feet, looking back up at me. "I'm not coming over. You are."

"What? Jessica--"

"I'll text you my address. Come over whenever."

"...Okay."

I hung up and texted her the address. She said she was coming over within an hour or two.

It gave me enough time to feed my dog and take a shower. But I put Nicki's shirt right back on. It smelled of her and it comforted me greatly.

Then I went to my room and tried to make it seem not so...empty. It was like half of the room was taken away because Luke's things had occupied it. So I spread my clothes in the closet and put some of my things in the nightstand on his side of the bed.  It still looked odd without his things, but I didn't have time to ponder on this; the doorbell had rung.

Nicki came in, smiling up at me, and holding grocery bags. I leaned down and gave her a peck on the lips, which made her jump. She obviously wasn't expecting that. How come?

"Feeling okay, Jess?" Nicki had asked.

"Yeah. What was that about?"

"What about?" She asked.

"That kiss. You weren't expecting it. Why?"

"Because I didn't think you'd want to kiss me after everything that happened."

I sighed. "Pretending I never liked you won't solve anything."

"Oh. Right. Um, where's your kitchen?"

I led her into the kitchen, where she sat the bags down. She pulled out two big containers of ice cream, two big silver spoons, and two oversized shirts from her home. I smiled at her as she put a container into the freezer--even his favorite Ice cream he had was gone--and she turned back to me.

"You didn't have to do this," I said.

"I did. I had to. For you, Jess."

"You're so sweet. Uh, what's the shirts for?"

"You. So you can always have me when you're home alone."

She eyed the shirt I still had on, and I blushed. "Which means I get something of yours."

And she marched off out the kitchen, with me following her. After watching her open every door in search of my room, I led her to the closet.

"I want this," she immediately said, picking out a sweater I had. She buried her face in it and giggled.