3. Setting Out

Two weeks later I would finally set out. It was strange. I was prepared this time, with everything that I could possibly need all packed up. I did feel bad leaving my parents, but I would return. A girl's got to have a little adventure every now and then.

I put on a light traveling cloak and made my way out to where my family was waiting outside. Sundance was all tacked up and ready to go when I arrived. I threw my arms around both of my parents and we remained in an embrace for a few seconds.

After pulling away my mother held my face between her hands.

"Are you sure you will be alright?" she asked in a concerned tone

"Yes, mother," I replied, "I survived one adventure with much less preparation, so I'm sure I will survive this one."

"Okay, my love. Just be careful. Don't be overly trusting. Be safe," she said.

"Of course mother," I said kissing her brow.

I gave both her and my father one last hug, mounted Sundace, and started out. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day to be traveling. Once I got past the boarders of Llednevir, I pulled out my map. I positioned it so it was facing the same direction I was and then found the route I would take. My father and I had discussed it in length, along with asking for advice from some of the more traveled elders. According to our calculations, even if the weather delayed me for three or four days, I would still reach Padonia in twelve days. Sundance's speed would really help me out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a very long eight hours, it had started to sprinkle outside. We were closing in on a town, so I decide I would get a room at an inn and let Sundance stay in a stable for the night due to the rain. My father had made sure that I took plenty of money with me for my trip, and I was grateful for that to avoid an undue embarrassment.

The town was very similar to the first one that I had stopped at with Seth. I neglected to thoroughly look around because the rain had picked up. I stopped first at a nice looking stable beside the inn.

"It's raining pretty hard out there, ain't it," a gruff voice said once I was inside the stable area.

"Yes, quite a lot, sir," I responded looking around.

I dismounted Sundance and led her over to a nice looking stall. I was about to start untacking her, when the gruff voice interrupted my actions.

"Hold on there, sister," he started, "You gotta have money to leave off your horse."

"Oh, yes," I assured him.

I finally saw him sitting on a bale of hay next to a small writing desk. He was a middle-aged human, bald, and looked like he hadn't shaved in a while.

"How much for one night?" I asked, walking over to where he was seated.

"That depends," he said, "How much you got?"

I was slightly taken aback at his blunt nature, but I figured maybe this was the way most humans were--blunt.

"Why does it matter," I replied, "don't you charge a flat fare."

A looked passed across his face of minute disappointment that I hadn't fallen for his trick.

"Fine, little miss," he said, "it'll be one shink for the night."

My father had taught me about the different types of human money before I had left. They had lettles, shinks, and peckers. Lettles were the smallest amount. A shink was worth 50 lettles and a pecker was worth 100 lettles. My father had given me 500 peckers for my journey. I figured the stable man was charging too much, but I had more than enough money, so I didn't mind.

I promptly handed him the shink and his eyes widened in disbelief. Apparently, he wasn't expecting me to have the money. He wasn't a very good business man.

"Alright ma'm," he said to me, "lead your horse over this way."

Once Sundance was taken care of, I rushed through the rain to the inn next-door with my rucksack. The innkeeper was much more professional and it only costed me twenty lettles for one night.

I decided to eat before I went up to my room. It wasn't too late and was actually just around dinner time. I made my way to the counter to purchase a meal.

"Hello, young lady," an elderly woman croaked, "what would you like to eat? We have a chicken platter or a beef platter as dinner options."

My mind calculated the best response. I was hungry and didn't want to be rude, but I couldn't bring myself to order meat. I figured I should ask if there were any non-meat options.

"Non-meat?" she said incredulously, "what are you trying to do, starve yourself?"

"No, madam," I replied quickly, "I just don't eat meat, is all."

"You don't eat meat," she repeated, mystified, "Well, I can cook up some potatoes and vegetables if that would make you happy."

"Thank you very much," I said.

After paying and waiting a little while before I got my food, I sat down to eat. I got a few odd glances due to my meatless plate, but I was grateful the nice woman had been willing to cook something meatless for me. This was going to be interesting as my journey went on.

Once finished I headed up to my room. The rooms contained a wash basin and cloth in addition to the bed, so I washed myself off a little bit. It wasn't as nice as the large bathing pools at home, but at least my face and hands were clean. I was suddenly very tired from my travels during the day, and decided to sleep in my clothes. I kicked my shoes off, pulled my cloak from my shoulders, and laid down on the bed, pulling the covers up around me. Day one of my second journey was a success.