Subconscious Imagination

I laugh, "Very funny"
His forehead wrinkles and weaves his fingers through mine.

                                ~~

Ugh, today in biology we're reviewing  the krebs cycle. Like why would we ever need to know about enzymatic reactions and the role of ATP? Science is my least favorite subject; it's so boring. Having Ms. Perry as the teacher doesn't help either. She is the dullest teacher ever and lulls everyone to sleep with her monotonous voice. She's written on the board that we have a pop quiz on the krebs cycle today. I'm totally going to fail. I've been so busy texting Sebastian that I haven't been paying attention to her for the past hour.
She finally finishes her lecture and hands me my quiz. I write my name and just stare at it. When I notice that clock says there's 5 minutes left, I began scribbling random answers furiously.

First question: What is the kreb cycle? My answer: The evolution of crabs

Second question: What does it do?
My answer: Explains how different crabs have evolved over many years

And the quiz continues like that for 18 more questions, none of them being multiple choice. As soon as the bell rings, I sprint out of class before the teacher can ask to speak to me.

                             ~~

I'm at my locker getting ready for my last class, P.E. , with Tiffany from the poetry club. I change my mind- gym is my least favorite class. The lingering odor and sweat is just appalling.

"So what are you doing over spring break?" She asks.
"I'm probably going to be hanging out with Calista and probably Sebastian" I reply.
"Calista? And aww..."
"Yeah, we've been-"
"Speaking of which, here he comes"

As Sebastian reaches my locker, Tiffany says, "See you in P.E." then runs off giggling.

"Hey" he says "Ready for spring break?"
"I've been ready since school started! it's going to be the best!!"
"So, for tonight I was wondering if you-"

The bell interrupts him before he can finish his sentence.

"I'll tell you later" he says. I give him a quick kiss and head to gym.

                               ~~

Gym was absolutely horrible. We had to run 3 miles today and then play dodgeball. My face got pummeled by the ball so many times, and I was literally just running around the whole time trying to find shelter. I'm dropping in sweat, and I can't let Sebastian see me like this. I wipe my face with a towel and then apply some mascara and lipgloss. Calista walks in and gives me a hug. "What was that for?" I asked after pulling away.
"Just because. You know I love you, right? And no matter what happens, you'll be ok. You're an amazing person and you shouldn't blame yourself for your father abandoning you. Promise me that you'll remember that?" She says.
I nod and ask, "we're still hanging out tonight, right?"
"Bye, Mackenzie" she replies and then walks out, leaving me baffled.
I give the mirror one last glance before heading out of the locker room.

Sebastian's waiting for me outside of the gym.
"So like I was saying before, tonight do you want to go on a second first date, considering Bob ruined the first one?
"I can't tonight. Can I take a rain check? I'm going to be hanging out with Calista tonight" I reply.
"Who?"
"Calista Joule"
"Umm... are you ok?"
"Yeah, why?"
"I don't know how to tell you this..."
"Tell me what?"
" Well, Calista Joule is dead"
"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"
"Yeah, she had committed suicide 3 years ago. It was all over the news"

I sink to the ground along with my heart, and tears stream down my cheeks.
"No, that can't be true" I scream and run outside, freeing myself from Sebastian's grip.
I hop on my bike and drive to Calista's house. But when I arrive, there's no house there. It's a bare, untouched piece of land covered in green grass and shrubs.
I drop my bike and scream, "What's wrong with me?"
My subconscious made up a whole freaking person? She was a figment of my imagination? None of those memories really happened? Was I really so depressed and lonely because of my dad abandoning me that I needed to make up a friend?
I thought she was my friend and confidante. I could tell that she was keeping something from me that day at her house when we were talking about her poems. But I had no idea that it was something like this. The incident in the locker room makes a lot more sense now. My life was better now and Calista had done her job. I didn't need her anymore, even though my heart told me otherwise. I laid down on the grass, closed my eyes, and remember her last words- words that I will cherish forever.