Chapter 6. When a Woman Loves

Jazmine's POV

'Ding Dong'

Jazmine rung the Freeman doorbell with her parents on each side of her.

It was Sunday and Jazmine hadn't spoken or seen Huey in two days since the incident. In her opinion the whole situation wasn't that bad it was just Huey who was making a big deal out of a silly kiss. She tried calling him but he wouldn't answer his phone. Previously she walked across the street and knocked on the Freeman door but Riley said he wasn't home. Jazmine knew he was lying she can always tell when Riley lies his voice gets higher and always scratches behind his neck. Plus Huey's damn car was in the driveway.

So now she's all nervous because her parents have forced her to come to Mr Freeman's Sunday brunch. Jazmine decided to wear some Capri jeans, a hot-pink long sleeve blouse, cute hot-pink sandals with bows in the back, and her hair in a high bun with curly tendrils falling from it and some clear lip gloss.

The door swung open and Jazmine's face was met with non other than Huey Freeman who looked as if he was avoiding Jazmine's gaze.

"Hiya Huey, are you excited about brunch I know I sure am. I can't remember the last time I had a nice home cooked meal" Tom said in his usually cheery voice but Jazmine could hear a faint tone of hurt.

Sarah scoffed "yeah well maybe if you come home a decent hour you would."

Jazmine just stood their awkwardly in between her parents spat. And Huey just looked over it "So are you gonna come in or...?"

"See there you go again starting stuff here Huey I made some Marconi salad" Sarah said handing Huey the bowl she was carrying as they entered the Freeman house.

Mr. Freeman was already at the head of the table and all the food was spread out."Riley! get downstairs the DuBois' are here!"

"I'm not hungry Grandad!" Riley yelled back from upstairs.

Tom let out a surprised laugh "Riley Freeman not hungry is he sick?"

Love sick Jazmine thought to herself. She had spoken to Cindy a few days ago. Cindy told her that Riley kissed her and they were caught by her Mom. Jazmine didn't know the whole story all she knew was her Mom was more than pissed and chased Riley out of the house with her Dad's shotgun.

'Scary'

"Must be that nasty flu that's going around anyways y'all sit down let's pray" Mr. Freeman said before they sat down at the table.

Jazmine somehow ended up sitting in between Huey and Tom. It was so awkward because she had to hold Huey's hand during prayer who didn't look to happy about praying. He's never been big on religion.

"Everyone bow your heads and close your eyes" Mr. Freeman began praying and Jazmine kind of tuned him out because all she could focus on was Huey's big hand in hers. She peaked her eyes open to look at him she quickly regretted it because he was staring at her intensely.

"Amen" Everyone said besides Huey. Jazmine said it about 3 seconds late. "Lets eat!" Tom smiled already putting two pieces of fried chicken on his plate.

Huey cleared his throat Jazmine looked at him with her eyebrows raised. Then his eyes shifted to their hands still intertwined.

Jazmine blushed and pulled her hand away. "Sorry" She whispered. He just shrugged his shoulders looking not that bothered by it.

Jazmine put some food on her plate along with Huey who just had some mashed potatoes and green beans on his plate.

The brunch went by agonizingly slow for Jazmine she really needed to talk to Huey.