The Haunting Past

GOD!

Sorry for the late update of Chapter Twenty <3

Thank you so much for the burst of reads and everything, I love you guys very muchos xD <3

This chapter is dedicated to gdao19 for voting so much it made my head spin xD 

VOTE, COMMENT AND SPREAD SOME LOVE :O

...

Without further ado,

here's to Luc~

Love, J.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LUCAS

She was here, and for me that was all that mattered. At least, for this moment.

'Luc?' she murmured softly, her finger tracing the sentences on my book, 'What is that letter?'

'It's an 'a',' I answered patiently before pressing my lips against her hair and subtly imprinting her delicious scent into memory.

After having come out with how we felt for each other, I'd carried her inside and now she lay against me as I read, her head against my chest. I was liking her more and the closeness felt right, unlike the times I slept with my concubines.

'Beraltus didn't teach you?' I inquired as my eyes skimmed over the sentence that referred to war tactics before flipping over a page.

Miriel shook her head, the soft rubbing on my chest felt soothing yet ticklish, 'No, I don't think we really had time for that'.

I nodded silently as I recalled all those times Mags had reported that the blacksmith had sent another bundle of letters to his daughter. It had surprised me that a blacksmith could read, let alone write, but when Mags had told me Mir was incapable of both I had frowned. Why not pass knowledge on?

'Luc?'

'Yes?'

'I was wondering...' her voice trailed off into nothingness.

'About?' I probed, leaning my face down closer to hers to see what she meant.

Instead she blushed and looked away from my probing eyes, 'Nothing. Never mind'.

I pressed my lips against her temple, 'I can teach you how to read and write if that's what you're after'.

She turned around abruptly, those brilliant blue eyes widening at my proposal, 'Really?'

I nodded and laughed as an innocent but wide smile appeared upon her face, 'Yes, really'.

'Thank you,' she squealed, wrapping her arms around my neck, making me lose balance as we both fell back onto the pillows.

'Your welcome,' I chuckled at her excitement and shifted on the pillows to get a more comfortable lying position.

I didn't know what time it was, my guess was close to midnight. The two moons hung in the sky, a brother protecting his sister and I sighed at the story that all children knew. It was an omen, at least for me.

'We should probably go back to the room,' I murmured as I watched a cloud pass over the two sources of light, causing only faint stars to blink out in the black night and the tent to darken slightly despite the flickering light of the candle.