Secrets

Dedicated to Cinneryn

Mr Thompson was dropping Chelsea to school. They didn't talk much during the whole ride. She pushed the thoughts of initiating a conversation aside. Her mind was way too much occupied to think about what to say that might help Mr and Mrs Thompson. She feared she might say something irrational that would make things even more awkward and difficult than they already were.

She had no idea how long they had to wait till the police find something. They were doing everything they could but it just wasn't enough. Chelsea was tired of everyone staring at her and talking among themselves in school like she was a murderer. She was the only one who was really friends with Stella. The news of Stella's disappearance was flashing every day on television.

Stella had the tendency to rub people the wrong way. She loved to criticize people. Chelsea walked down the hallway keeping her head low. She moved her fingers on her phone screen, trying to look busy. But, she could still feel eyes on her. Somehow managing to reach her locker, she took her books out and pen and headed towards her classroom when she saw Margaret walking out of the class.

Margaret's face turned red trying to hold her tears back. Chelsea followed Margaret into girl's restroom and found her standing against the slab with her head low.

'Hey, what was that? Are you okay?' Chelsea put a hand on Margaret's shoulder.

'Do you know about the girl who was killed by her father. It was on the news months ago.'

Chelsea asked, 'The one whose body was never found?'

Margaret nodded.

'Yeah. But what about her?'

'That girl was my sister.' Margaret managed to say with her broken voice.

Chelsea didn't speak for a minute. She couldn't believe the words she heard. The day she heard the news was still fresh in her mind.

Six months ago...

Chelsea flipped the pages of a random magazine she found in the pantry while Andrew was busy doing his push-ups. He got up to have some juice and then crashed on the couch.

'Why don't you use a deodorant? You stink!' Chelsea said moving her hand in the air.

'Because I don't need one. I have my natural scent.'

'Yeah, and it goes by the name of 'Sweat'. Right?'

Chelsea dropped the magazine and leaned forward to pick up the remote. She turned on the T.V. and kept on changing channels when Andrew snatched the remote from her.

'What the hell? Give it back!' Chelsea almost screamed.

Andrew leaned back on the couch and rested his legs on the table, making himself comfortable, 'I won't.'

Chelsea tried to take the remote back but Andrew didn't loosen his grip on it.

'Let go. I picked it first.' said Chelsea.

'And now I have it.' replied Andrew.

Fighting for the remote, their fingers moved over the buttons of remote, resulting in changing of the channels.

'A man killed his fourteen- year-old daughter.' Chelsea and Andrew heard a voice. They stopped fighting over the remote and turned their heads towards the television screen.

Now...

Chelsea looked at Margaret and said. 'You never told me that.'

'It wasn't easy. Everybody thinks our father killed her. I was forced to leave my home and come here to live with my grandmother.' A tear rolled down Margaret's cheek. 'I couldn't do anything.'

Chelsea squeezed Margaret's shoulder to comfort her. 'You couldn't stop it, Margaret. Don't ever blame yourself. It wasn't your mistake. Do you get that?'

'You are a good friend Chelsea.' Margaret rose her head and looked towards her.

'I know this is not a great time but I'm really hungry.' Chelsea said. 'Well, that's what Stella would've said.'

'You really miss her.'

Chelsea bit her lip, 'I do.'

Note- The complete story is available on ficfun.com. To know more kindly visit the website 

http://www.ficfun.com/novel/1962097-Come-Inside.html