Chapter 32

As I make my way back to the apartment, I text Abby that I'm on my way home. I figure that she will tell Lucas and Liam, so I don't bother to text them.

I see a lot of my friends from school with their children walking around Central Park now. Earlier, hardly anyone was here. Maybe their out now because it's after lunch time, but I can't be sure.

Once I'm back in the apartment complex, I sit down on a bench in the main lobby. Okay. I tell myself. I'm not going to get mad when I walk in the door. I'm just going to let it go in hopes that it won't happen again.

I get off the bench and walk over to the elevator. When the doors open, I push the number two and allow the elevator to take me up to my floor.

The doors open and I walk off. I stand in front of room 205 and take my key out. I take a deep breath and insert my key in the door.

The moment I walk through the door, I see Lucas walking over to me. "Riley, I'm so sorry. I won't ever do that again." He says, embracing me in a hug.

"It's okay." I respond. "You took the pictures down... right?" I ask, afraid to look around the room.

"Of course I did." He responds. I force myself to look up and I take in my surroundings. No flames in sight.

Lucas releases me from the hug and we both go over to sit on the couch with the kids. We watch a bunch of repeats of America's Funniest Home Videos. Before we know it, the time is 7:00.

"We need to have dinner!" I exclaim, frantically.

"I'm not even that hungry." Liam says.

"Yeah, Mom," Abby joins in the conversation. "I don't think any of us are starving yet."

"She's right, Riley. Calm down." Lucas says to me.

"Okay, I'm calm. I'll just go order a pizza."

"Make that two!" Lucas says, just before I'm about to call Pizza Palace.

The night goes the same way the afternoon went; relaxing in front of the television with no hard feelings.