Chapter 5 : Room Number 4

We are heading back now. The test took three hours. The scenes keep playing in my mind over and over.

We were supposed to reach there at 09:00 a.m. and we did. This might be the first time I ever reached somewhere on time otherwise I'm always running late.

I went in my night suit only, with boots, my hair was a mess as I refused to comb it. I wore a pair of gloves and a scarf so I don't catch a cold. I don't like winters.

Room number 4 had two desks, each having two chairs and a bench against the wall. There were stacks of files on the shelves. There was a large window which oversaw the hospital and several roads.

When we got in, we were greeted by a girl named Arohi. She was the one was supposed to take my test. Arohi's desk was placed against the wall adjacent to the large window. Sunlight was pouring on the desk. She asked us to get seated. She was a fair girl with dead eyes that showed no emotions. Her face overall, gave nothing away. It was capable of hiding her views deep inside the sulci and gyri of her brains.

"What happened?", Arohi asked in an even, soft voice. Such a simple question yet so difficult to answer. I sobbed and started narrating the whole incident while playing with my hands.

"Are you scared of me as well?", she asked.

"A little", I answered in a meek voice.

"It's OK. Get relaxed, then we'll begin the test", she suggested. I nodded in response.

"Have you had breakfast?", she questioned.

"No", I said.

"You can go, have something and then we can start the test", she offered.

"No, it's OK", I declined as politely as I could. My apetite has gone on a holiday. Time of return is still uncertain.

"Alright", Arohi answered, "I'll show you some figures, you have to draw them as they are, don't add anything on your own, alright?". I nodded in response.

The first figure was a diamond inside a hexagon. I drew it as it was.

This kept going on for a while. When we were done with this part of the test, she said to my mom, "Please go and pay the required amount for psychometry test at the OPD cards issuing counter on ground floor". Me and mom exchanged a look through which I answered her unasked question of if I'll be OK. When mom left, Arohi continued on with the test.

Next I was supposed to tell what was common amongst the two things she asked. When mom returned, she was asked to wait outside.

The test went on for several hours. I did everything asked, earnestly. When it got over after three long hours, I was left with a dry mouth and a hungry tummy, which happened after a very long time.

Me and mom headed for canteen to get me something to eat. I ran into one of my batch mates there, the circumstance I was dreading a lot.

* * *

We reach home at last and I dive back on my bed, inside the quilt. I was yearning to be back here.

"Kiara", mum says, she removes the quilt from my face, "The results will come after five days. Would you like to go visit your aunt for a several days?", she asks with a hope to hear yes.

"Alright", was all that I could manage to say.

"OK. Let's pack everything we need. We'll leave today itself", she directs.

I drag myself out of the bed and get to work.