All Couples Do It (Joe/Sal)

"Babyyyyyy..."

It's with an unceremonious moan that Sal realises his lover isn't in bed beside him. Rolling over, arm flopping into the empty - but still warm - space harder than necessary, he huffs and mutters to himself about Joe being an 'unreliable source' when he wants to cuddle. Burying his head under the duvet, seeping in warmth, the man decides to remain bed-ridden until the other comes back to drag him out. Serves him right for leaving him.

When he hears the door opening, Sal lets a tiny smirk curl his lips. He loves to hear Joe come crawling back - but then he catches the scent of something and sits up suddenly, hoping to catch whatever he's got right there in the open.

Words fail him.

There his boyfriend stands, tray in hand and a plate of breakfast steaming from it. Toast, bacon, eggs, the whole charade - and to top it all off, a glass of orange juice. For a moment, he's speechless, mouth slightly agape as if to speak. Then, without thought for the potential mess, a giddy grin stretches across his face. Joe clicks his tongue, gives him a cheeky wink as he shuts the door with his foot and meanders to Sal's side of the bed. Balancing on the edge of it, he hands over the tray, watching as Sal collects the knife and fork.

"Overkill, much?" Sal titters, cutting into bacon and placing it into his mouth as he works against the urge to scoff as the taste fulfills him more than he lets on. He'd never expected Gatto to be such a hopeless romantic, had never known that getting with him would ultimately make him softer.

The other smiles a more coy smile. "I thought you'd like it... ya know. Breakfast in bed, all couples do it at least once." And then, more jovially: "And it's gonna be me servin' because you can't cook for shit."

He's halfway through a sip of orange juice, having to stop himself from barking with laughter at Joe's comment as he swallows forcefully and looks up at him with bright eyes. The food is delicious, the juice the most refreshing thing he can think of for the first thing in the morning... but all of it is nothing compared to the sentiment behind it. It's all in the little details: eggs away from the toast so that the yolk, in the instance that it runs, doesn't seep into the warm bread; knife and fork so evidently polished up before he'd been presented with it; the tray on his lap that stops crumbs from going everywhere. It all has the man somewhat emotional for reasons other than surprise. Joe knows him so completely it makes him warm inside.

Sal doesn't mind that Joe watches in silence as he eats, even finds it suitable to lean back against the headboard and tug his tray closer to him as he finishes his meal at his own pace. There's nothing to be desired when it comes to his lover. He's attentive, kind, caring, practical... all the things he feels he's not, and perhaps that's why he holds such a simple act of kindness with such high regard.

With a satisfied sigh, Vulcano puts down his cutlery and carefully places the tray on the bedside table before leaning back once more and running his hands over his pyjama-clad belly. Full and happy, Sal looks up at his boyfriend and smiles a smile so warm that Joe all but melts.

"Thanks, Joey... you didn't have to do that."

"Psh!" Joe exclaims, hand swiping at his boyfriend's forearm dismissively. "Don't be dumb. I know that - but I wanted to."

Taking care to mind the tray, Gatto reaches into his boyfriend's bedside table drawer and recovers his glasses, slowly leaning forward and perching them in their proper place on his face. The bridge of his nose covered as he's familiar with, Joe lets his hands slide slowly down the side of his face with a smile. Even though he's the loudest of the Jokers, he's perhaps the softest when in the comfort of romance. It soothes his excitable personality, has him basking in a glow rather than a spotlight. It's tamer, more manageable, and it makes him infinitely sweeter when he'd alone with the one he loves.

"Besides, why would I even be here if not to take care of my boy?"

Vulcano rolls his eyes playfully, before sitting forwards so that he can kiss his boyfriend thankfully. Gratitude seeps into Gatto's veins as he's kissed, Sal's hand slowly making its way from his shoulder up his neck and to the side of his face. It's gentle exchanges like this, tongues slowly melding together as hands stroke over faces, thumbs cupping jaws, that remind him of the relationship's validity. This is what it's supposed to be like - this is what it was always supposed to be like.

"Woah..." Joe murmurs as he comes away, smiling when Sal nudges his nose affectionately.

"What?" The other asks, brow slowly arching.

Gatto allows a more smug grin to stretch along his face, the borrowed taste still in his mouth.

"I cooked the shit out'a that bacon."