Just #MyBestFriendIsGettingMarried

...

Navya's wedding was to be held two days before Nandini's birthday, and, though she'd apologized a million times, Navya was certain that Nandini was still upset. Nandini assured her that she was fine, that she knew it was the only time that Cabir, Navya's fiancé, could take time off from work, and she wasn't in the least bit upset.

The rehearsal dinner was held the night before the wedding, and, after, Nandini returned to her apartment, crawled into the comfort of her bed, and cried herself to sleep.

Manik wasn't coming.

She no longer held any illusions about it and knew that she was learning, the hard way, that not every childhood dream comes true. At least, she told herself, she'd been lucky enough to work in a job that she loved, have family and friends that she loved, and, if and when she wanted, find someone who would love her and be with her for the rest of her life.

Although, she wasn't sure when she'd actually be ready for that last part.

The morning of the wedding, she woke to warm June sunlight streaming in through the curtains and slanting across her bed. For several minutes, she just lay there, unwilling tomove. If she didn't face this day, she thought, then maybe she wouldn't have to face the nextday and, especially, the day after that one.

For the first time in her life, she was not looking forward to her birthday.

"God, Nandini, you're pathetic," She whispered to herself. "It's Navya's day today, not yours. Get out of bed and do this for her. She's been your best friend through thick and thin, and you owe her."

She had to repeat the sentiment four more times before she finally kicked off the covers and slid out of bed.

Four hours later, her hair had been made up with braids, her makeup was pristine, and she wore the plum maroon strapless Gown that Navya had designated for her bridesmaids to wear. Instead of thinking of herself, she had launched completely into her role of maid of honor. While Navya sat in her champagne hued  bridal gown with a messy bun and a long veil on her head serenely in a chair in a side room in the church, Nandini ran around making certain that every detail had been seen to and everything was going according to plan.

"Where are the bouquets ?" She snapped at Navya's cousin, who'd been in charge of picking up the arrangements from the florist. When the nervous young woman stuttered out an answer and pointed to the collection that lay in a box nearby, Nandini thanked her curtly before bustling off to take care of things.

Finally, minutes before the ceremony, only Navya and Nandini were left in the room while Navya's father waited outside for the signal from inside the sanctuary.

" Nandini ? "

Nandini turned away from the door where she'd been trying to keep track of the proceedings, "Yeah? Did you need something? Did you forget something?"

Navya shook her veil-clad head and smiled. "I just wanted to tell you that you are the best friend I could've ever asked for. Seriously."

Nandini's face softened, and she hurried to give Navya a light hug. "I'm lucky that we found each other in that awful freshmen year bio class, too."

"I'm glad we dissected the frog together. You were the best lab partner." Navya told her. Nandini caught the glint of tears in her eyes and shook her head.

"Don't cry, don't! You'll ruin your makeup !" She scolded, waving her hands in front of her friend's eyes, trying to dry the tears. "Don't you want Cabir's jaw to drop to the floor when he sees you ?"

Navya gave a watery laugh. "Cabir's jaw drags on the ground even when I wear a bathrobe. Nandu," She gripped Nandini's wrist tightly, her voice suddenly serious. "Promise me something."

Nandini frowned. "Of course. What is it ?"

The door creaked open as Navya opened her mouth to speak. Her father poked his head in, his eyes already misty. "Honey, it's time."

"I'm coming, Papa. Just give me a second." When her father nodded and slipped out again,Navya turned back to Nandini. "You have to promise me that, no matter what happens today, you won't be angry with me."

Nandini's frown deepened. "Navu, what are you talking about ? There's nothing to be angry with you over, and we really have to get out there."

"I know, but I just wanted to make sure to tell you that."

Suspicion flickered in Nandini's mind as she tugged Navya towards the door. Then, just as they stepped through the door and into the hallway, she stopped in her tracks. "Navya, what did you do?"

Navya shook her head and nudged her forward. "No time now. You'll miss your cue. Go ! "

By the time the ceremony got underway, Nandini had forgotten all about her suspicions as she watched the lovely rituals take place. Cabir had, indeed, looked shocked and in awe when he'd seen Navya walk down the aisle, and Navya couldn't have beamed any brighter than she had throughout the entire ceremony.

Everything had gone off without a hitch, and then it was time for the reception.

It wasn't until all the couples were dancing after the bride and groom's first dance that Nandini began to feel out of place and lonely. Suddenly, all of the doubts and sadness of that morning and the previous night came flooding back. There she was, standing amidstall the joy and celebration, and she wanted nothing more than to burst into tears and crawl into a hole. She knew she was acting irrationally, but telling herself that didn't help the situation any.

It didn't bring her Manik, that was for sure.

Suddenly, the music seemed too loud, the low hum of voices and laughter grated on her nerves,  out of the ballroom.

Just as her hand gripped the doorknob and turned it, her other wrist was caught in a firm grip.

...