2

Diagon Alley was a lot different to Emma's previous visit. It was duller and overtaken by posters of Death Eaters and criminals and such. Her parents were taking the place in – it was scarier being out and about after reading and hearing about all the disappearances and sudden deaths of both Muggles and Witches/Wizards. Many of the stalls were boarded up or took down their displays in clear desperation that nobody would visit.

"I suppose we ought to get your books first, then, Emma," said Mr Baranov, giving his wife's shoulder a gentle squeeze. "You won't be needing any new robes."

"Lead the way," she said, and walked closely with her parents. Along the way, though, Emma stopped dead in her tracks, her mouth unable to close itself. Down the right hand of the street was the brightest part of Diagon Alley yet; Weasley's Wizard's Wheezes. "No freakin' way," she said in awe.

It lit up the entire area like a million suns and appeared, now, to be the heart and joy of Diagon Alley. There were the small figures, from what she could see, of children walking in and out of the joke shop. Emma thought the place might burst into fireworks. Mr and Mrs Baranov stopped walking and looked back to see why Emma had.

"Emma, darling, why have you –?"

"That's Fred and George's shop!" she said in shock, pointing a finger toward the building and eyeing every inch of the place. She remembered them mentioning the joke shop but she didn't think they were serious about getting around to do it, or she hadn't thought they'd be able to manage it. "No bloody way...we have to go there! Can we? Pleeeeease?"

"I don't know," Mrs Baranov said awkwardly, clinging to her coat whilst she looked around uneasily. "I don't want to stay here too long. Let's just gather your things for school and we'll talk about it on the way out."

"But it's right down there, and there's lots of people – nothing will happen – why can't we just – "

"Emma," said Mr Baranov in a deadly, threatening tone. Emma hesitated to look into the eyes that she feared no longer viewed her as a daughter. "Don't argue. Let's get a move on. You heard your mother."

Mrs Baranov shifted uncomfortably. Emma sighed and followed her parents, leaving more distance between herself and Fred and George's shop. It had been a gloomy summer for Emma. She and her parents barely left the house to do anything together, not even to go out for dinner, and they barely cracked smiles and jokes and seemed to shimmer Emma away from the freedom she'd had a year ago. A year ago...to think that a year ago they didn't even worry about her travelling to a carnival on her own. Not only did that bore her, but she barely received any letters from Harry, Draco (who promised he'd write every day,) or anybody else. She'd gotten a few from Fred and George but now she understood why they weren't sending much.

"Do you have your book list?" Mr Baranov demanded, taking it from Emma's outstretched hand. They entered the store together; it was no different to last year, only a few things were taking down from display. "All right, so that's Adavanced Potion-making by Libatius Borage. Look for that one first – oh right – never mind."

He seemed to have forgotten that the store owner was willing to gather the books for them if the book list was handed in.

"Oh – hello there!" said a happily familiar voice. Emma grinned before she turned around.

"Hi, Mrs Weasley. And Mr Weasley," she added when she spotted Mr Weasley's curious face.

"And Ginny," said Ginny, who stepped into the store behind her parents. Emma accepted her hug.

Mr and Mrs Baranov spoke conversationally with Mr and Mrs Weasley, and Ginny handed in the booklists she had while Emma took her bag of books from the store owner and paid for them.