Chapter 7 Rebuild

Tar fires had been set in the battlefield at Arthur's orders before we left and the smoke was still rolling, black and thick, screening the carnage from view, but not from the other senses. Men groaned in pain, Wode women sent up eerie, mournful cries, and the smells of blood and sweat and leather mingled with the smoke. My stomach turned over, but I refused to let myself get sick, I was determined to be strong. I drew a deep breath and began to carefully descend the hill on my crutches, the women following me onto the field of battle.

Once we were below the smoke screen, we could see the results of warfare. Father, so many souls lost to you! Such a waste, my mind cried out as I walked among the bodies, most of which were Saxons. The Wodes and the villagers who survived the battle had already begun to collect their dead and wounded.

I did not see one of the dead bodies twitch as I stopped beside it to try to get my bearings. I shrieked when a hand shot out and grabbed my ankle in a vise-like grip and toppled me onto the muddy, blood soaked ground. Pain shot through my knees when I landed and I cried out again. The barbarian's blue eyes pierced my soul as he clung to life. Then a blade flashed. I shrieked again and covered my face with my arms. He knew he was dead and he was determined to take me with him.

A sword whistled through the air and the grip on my ankle loosened. I looked up to see the young man who had determined to find his father, panting, his face twisted into a mask of hate and confusion. He was staring down at the headless Saxon.

Oh, Father! How quickly this world turns them into men! I thought. "Are you alright?" I asked him, touching his wrist lightly.

He turned to look at me and nodded. "I had to, Milady. He wanted to take you with him to the underworld. I had to."

"I know, I know, and I thank you. I am just sorry you were put in this situation." I tried to comfort him.

"Will God forgive me?"

"I think if you ask Him, He will. He knows your heart and he knows that you were saving me." He nodded, then helped me to my feet. "Be careful!" I called back to the people that followed. "Some may still be alive and if they get the chance, they will try to kill you."

The young man refused to leave my side as we continued to search. "I will protect you and help you until we find your knight. My mother can find my father."

"And who will protect your mother?" I asked him.

He pondered a moment, then turned to look at his mother. "She is with others. You have no one until we find Sir Gawain."

I fought back tears. "What is your name?"

"Kae. Milady."

"Thank you, Kae."

Over the young man's shoulder, a parting of the smoke, caused by a change in the wind, allowed me to spot Arthur and Guinevere kneeling by a prone form. My feet felt like lead as I tried to move forward, my fears for Gawain finally finding root. As we neared them, I saw that it was Lancelot that had fallen. I was ashamed of my relief.

Arthur threw back his head and wept to the smoky skies. "It was my life to be taken!" He cried. "Not this! Never this!"

I shivered despite the heat coming from the tar fires and wrapped my arms around herself as best I could without losing the crutches. The Roman leader exchanged pained looks with Guinevere, who looked as if she wanted to say something to comfort him, but no sound came from her throat.

Another sound drew my attention as two more knights trudged toward the sad little group. Bors had a body over has shoulder and Galahad helped him lower it. I held my breath until I saw the tattooed face. It was Tristan. Sorrow and relief knifed through me again, along with the guilt of my selfishness. But where is he, Father?