5 - Nathan

As fast as my legs will carry me, I run toward Communications. Noah is hot on my heels, trailing just behind me. So it was cyanide - another Freckled killing.

We need to find that photo's other half.

"Detective Kalb!" My radio screams at me, and I reach down to silence it. 

"I told you we're coming, Echo! Give it a minute!"

"Sorry, sir," Echo says, but she doesn't sound sorry. "We've got news. We need you to see it in person."

We round the corner and stop at a set of double doors, labeled with the word Communications.
"I'm coming in right now," I report. 

"Got it, sir-" she starts, but I'm already inside. 

As soon as I step into the large room, I'm approached by two people - Echo being in front. 

"Come right this way, Detective," she says, ignoring the other person behind her. They follow along behind us as Echo leads me to her desk. 

"What's so important, now?" I ask, looking at her computer screen and not seeing anything huge right away. 

She clicks on something, bringing up an image. It's security footage. "This was taken just outside of the building, less than an hour ago."

I watch the recording and see Noah walking up to the building, but stopping. He takes out his wallet and pulls out the photograph - and it's whole. 

He puts it back in his wallet and enters the building. 

It was whole

"See? I told you I had it whole before I came," Noah says quietly from behind me.
My head is spinning.

This can only mean one thing. 

"Someone in this building tampered with it," I mutter for only the Echo and Noah to hear. "Someone in this building doesn't want us to catch this killer."

"Or worse," says someone behind me, not anyone I recognize. "Someone in this building is the killer."

I turn abruptly to see who spoke up. It's one of the janitors, dressed in a baggy uniform and everything. I'm surprised I don't see a mop in his hand. 

"And who are you?" I ask. "Why are you listening to us?"

The janitor smiles, a sly smile. "Jack's the name. And honestly, I thought I was doing you a favor by standing so close. Usually I just listen from afar." I feel a shudder run up my back, imagining him standing in a dark corner, mopping the floor while I discuss private information with someone. 

"They should make you people wear ear plugs or something," I say, turning back around to face Echo. "Anything else you need to show me right now?"

"That was it, sir," she says.

"Good. Then start looking through other footage, try to find anyone tampering with the photo - check every room you can think of. Get a team on that."

"You got it," Echo says, turning around to address the others sitting at desks near her. 

"Now, I'm going to have to ask you to-" I spin around, expecting to see that janitor again, but he's gone. "Oh. He already left?"

Noah stands there, nodding. He says nothing, though. 

"Okay, that's fine. We should get going; I've got some things to check out, and you're coming with me. I'm not letting you out of my sight."