to break: 14// gravity

artgirl 14: GRAVITY

"If you're gonna try and walk on water, make sure you wear your comfortable shoes," Piledriver Waltz, Arctic Monkeys

2 bombs about to be dropped. be prepared, my dearest rosebuds. 

previously on artgirl:

Zoey and Nico are in Silvercrest for the holidays/ Zoey's mom's wedding. Zoey is happy with her life. She and James are on good terms, ish. Zoey's mom is marrying kind Rafael. Zoey had a talk with Nico on their "island" a week before this. That was the last time they've talked since.

play "gravity" by sara bareilles when i tell you to. 

Nicolas Bear Forrest

     EVERYTHING breaks. There is a beginning to every end and an end to every beginning, I believed. You had the volition between which would be the broken point, what would destroy you for a moment in time. Heartbreak ended when you began loving the sweet embrace of time, instead of dreading it. You pushed away all of the memories and locked them into a small box, one that you threw under your bed, to let the monsters devour. You could choose to become friends with those monsters.

When people break, you cannot fix them. There isn't enough tape and glue to put flesh back together. When people break, it is often because someone got to their biggest weakness, the equivalent to Achilles' heel. The stories talked of him as a warrior with unseen strength and valor, destined to forever remain undefeated. But the moment his heel was struck by an arrow, all of that vanished into thin air. That vulnerability was anything that your life began to surround and protect at all costs.

I had never witnessed such a fall, not even when my mum died. My dad had always been stronger than I ever had been, his grief was silent. He understood that life had to go on, even with a broken heart. I had never fallen so deeply, I'd always been able to climb out of the hole. Even when I preferred alcohol over people, when I felt as if I was alone in the world, when I took everyone and everything for granted. There were seven billion people on this earth, and out of them, only a few succeeded in helping me out of that sadness. When you lose a piece of yourself, you fill it with a new one. Because feeling hollow can be eternal, but it can also be momentary, if you're lucky enough.

My luck came from my dad and from Zoey. My dad was smart enough to grab me by the collar and give me a reality check, one that included moving onto a completely different continent. Zoey—she changed me without even realizing it. If all the wilderness and simple beauty in the world gathered into one person, it would be her. I didn't even understand how I felt about her anymore.

Instead of spending my time thinking about her, I drove to the nearest gym to Silvercrest, which was a solid twenty minutes away. Today was a big day—Zoey's mom was getting married. I decided that I should let go of any jitters emanating from seeing Zoey again this morning, to distract myself from my overbearing thoughts. Loving her was hard, but I was tired. I didn't want to put more effort than

The place was basically empty, as it was only 9 a.m. I heard two pairs of laughter towards the weights, which felt strangely familiar. A pit of dread formed at the idea of seeing someone I knew, I always referred my workouts to be a battle between myself and my limits.

A dark boy and a blonde were making jokes about men who were composed of 100% muscles, whose arms could knock down a door with one punch. I almost debated leaving at that very moment, but the thought was gone as soon as it came. I dropped my gym bag in a locker, went out towards the weights.

Joel was the first to see me. He hadn't changed much since the last time I'd seen him. We had accidentally ended up at the same grocery store this time two years ago. He chose to ignore me, or hadn't really seen me. "Nico!" he said.